Bywaters Special Collections is temporarily closed and not accepting research requests. If you have an urgent request, please email us for assistance.
Fill out a research application before your arrival.
Digital Camera Use Policy
Bywaters Special Collections permits limited photography in the Research Room. Please read the following regulations with regards to digital photography:
- Digital cameras are permitted to make reproductions for personal research purposes only.
- Images may not be distributed, published, broadcast, posted online, or placed in another archive without written permission from Bywaters Special Collections.
- Bywaters Special Collections will allow you to photograph collection materials in compliance with donor stipulations and with the fair use clause of US copyright law. It is your responsibility to determine if the amount of material reproduced exceeds fair use limitations.
- High resolution images must be ordered through Bywaters Special Collections.
- You are responsible for recording the proper citation information for each item photographed (collection name, accession number, box and folder, page numbers, author, title, etc.). Requests for permission to publish and orders for high resolution images cannot be processed without this information.
- All requested items are subject to review by staff before approval is given to photograph. We reserve the right to deny requests for any reason or revoke privileges of researchers who do not adhere to the digital camera use regulations.
- No photographs may be taken of the Research Room, staff, or other researchers.
- Materials are not to be arranged for photography: book cradles should be used and no pressure should be applied to bindings; materials should not be removed from Mylar, albums, or mountings; and manuscripts should remain in order and in the original folders. Always consult staff for guidance, especially when handling fragile or oversized materials.
- Tripods, camera flashes, audio features, special lighting, rearrangement of or standing on furniture, and other equipment is prohibited.