Frequently Asked Questions

Applications for visiting students are accepted year-round, however, please keep in mind your application must be received at least five business days prior to the first day of the semester in which you wish to enroll.

A completed application includes the online application, $75 non-refundable application fee, and official transcripts and good standing forms from each school you have attended.

Yes, the TOEFL is required as part of your application if you are an international student.

Once your application is approved and you are admitted, you are eligible to enroll online through my.SMU during open enrollment.

  1. Go to my.SMU and login using your student ID and password.
  2. Click on the "Manage Classes" tile.
  3. On the left-hand side of the Manage Classes page, click Enrollment.
  4. If you know the specific class number, type it in the Enter Class Nbr field then skip to Step 8.
  5. To search for a class, select the Class Search option then click Search.
  6. Enter your search terms, then click Search.
  7. A list of classes appears. Once you find a section you would like to enroll in, click the Select button for that section.
  8. If a lab section is required, select one when prompted and click Next.
  9. The class will now be added to your shopping card. When you have finished adding classes, click Proceed to Step 2 of 3.
  10. Confirm that your selections are accurate, then click Finish Enrolling.
  11. The results page will let you know if your course enrollment is successful.

Visiting students who wish to enroll in a course that requires prerequisites that were not completed through SMU must contact our office at for assistance enrolling in the course.

You may enroll in up to 18 credit hours during fall and spring semesters, 3 credit hours during JanTerm and MayTerm, and 7 credit hours per summer session.

Check the online academic calendars for term dates along with other important dates to know for the term.
Tuition and fees are subject to change. For the most up-to-date tuition charges please visit the SMU Bursar’s website.

Visiting students are NOT eligible for financial aid or veterans’ benefits.

Tuition is due by 11:59pm on the Payment Due Date for the term of Enrollment, or on the day of registration if the Payment Due Date has passed. Students can pay online in my.SMU by selecting the “Financial Account” tile and then clicking on “SMUpay” on the left-hand side of the page.Visit SMU Bursar's website for Payment Due Dates and more detailed instructions on how to pay tuition.

If you were denied admission from SMU as a first year or transfer student, you are not eligible for admission as a visiting student.

An individual with an educational disciplinary history or criminal history will not necessarily be denied admission; however, the history must be disclosed on the application and a detailed and honest explanation of the record must be provided. All materials are reviewed and decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. These decisions are final. If your application is denied, your application fee will NOT be refunded.

Failure to disclose and honestly explain an existing record may result in an application being denied, an admission acceptance being revoked, or the individual being subject to SMU’s judicial process which may result in dismissal from the University.

You must be in good standing, eligible to return to your previous institution, and have at least a 2.000 cumulative grade point average in order to be admitted as a visiting student.

Any completed transcripted credit may apply towards a degree if and when you are admitted to a degree-seeking program at SMU. If you are accepted elsewhere, you will need to verify the transferability of credit with that institution.

You will not need to reapply if you miss one semester. You will have to reapply if you miss two full semesters (not including Intersessions).

Please apply directly through the Study Abroad Office. Visit the Study Abroad Office’s website for the application and more information.

High school students do not take courses through the undergraduate visiting student program. Please contact Marilyn Swanson in the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education & Human Development at 214-768-1010 for information on programs offered for high school students.

If you graduate from high school and wish to take coursework before entering college, you can apply to take classes as an undergraduate visiting student. You will not be admitted if you were denied admission by SMU as a first-year student.

If you are a domestic student enrolled in 9 or more credit hours or an international student enrolled in 1 or more credit hours per term, you are required to have health insurance. For complete information about mandatory health insurance and how to ‘Waive’ or ‘Elect,’ please see the Health Center’s website.

ID cards, parking permits, and transportation information can be found on the Parking and ID Card Services website or by visiting the Parking and ID Services service counter in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

Textbooks and supplies can be purchased at the SMU Bookstore located at the Barnes and Noble on Mockingbird Lane. Contact 214-768-2435 for more information.

Non-degree students are NOT eligible for on-campus housing.  Exceptions may be made for international students who are visiting for a semester as part of a foreign exchange program.

You can add or drop a course up to the add/drop deadlines using my.SMU. To find the add/drop deadlines for the semester, please check SMU’s academic calendar.

NOTE: Non-attendance does not drop you from a class.

If you wish to cancel all of your classes before the semester begins, you can drop all but one class through my.SMU. To drop your last class, contact Undergraduate Visiting Student Services.

Students dropping all courses in which they are currently enrolled must follow SMU’s Withdrawal Procedures.

Tuition reimbursements are handled by the Bursar’s Office. Please refer to their tuition refund schedule and policy for up-to-date information.

Official transcripts should be requested online through the National Student Clearinghouse either using Student Center within (click on Official Transcript/Verification) or the National Student Clearinghouse secure site.

Delivery options and transcript fees are found on the Registrar’s website.

NOTE: Transcript requests are not accepted via phone, mail, email, or in person.