All applicants must possess a master's or post-baccalaureate degree by August and complete the online SMU application. The application requires the following:
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
Electronic transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to:
Paper transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to:
Graduate Application Processing
PO Box 518
Dallas, TX 75275-0518
- TOEFL English language proficiency test scores for students whose native language is not English
- Personal Statement: Applicants should prepare a statement of purpose, which should be between 750-1,000 words. This statement should address the factors that encouraged you to seek a degree with the SMU Higher Education Program. You should address your background, personal and professional experiences that prepared you for the study of higher education, what strengths you bring to the program, and your professional goals after the completion of the Ed.D.
- Submit an academic writing sample that demonstrates your analytic and written communication abilities. This writing sample can be 1) a 3-5 page paper that addresses specific issues in higher education of interest to you and how you wish to explore that issue further in the SMU Ed.D, or 2) a prior paper or policy report where you are the primary author, which can be from previous coursework.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be from individuals who can speak to the candidate's academic and professional skills and potential
- A resume/curriculum vita
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for your admissions packet. Applicants who have taken the GRE general test or another standardized test (i.e. GMAT, LSAT) are welcome to submit scores. To ensure that we receive your GRE scores, please use the institution code 6660
- Application fee: $40
Applicants may be invited to interview with faculty members.
Applications for the Fall 2022 cohort open on August 1, 2021. The priority deadline to apply is February 15, 2022, and the final deadline is April 15, 2022.