Wage and Salary Administration
Policy number: 7.8
Policy section: Human Resources
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
The University administers compensation policies and programs that reflect the value of job duties and responsibilities, offer competitive and equitable pay, and provide opportunities for pay growth based on available resources and performance contributions.
The purpose of this policy is to regulate the administration of salaries for all University employees.
This policy applies to all full-time and part-time employees.
4. Department Administrative Rules, Procedures, and Guidelines
The Department of Human Resources, under the purview of the Vice President for Business and Finance, has oversight and administrative responsibility for this policy and shall promulgate departmental rules, procedures, and guidelines pursuant to this policy.
5. Compensation Goals
The University, in compliance with all federal and state laws, has the following goals and objectives in administering its pay plan:
- To pay salary and benefits that allow the University to attract and retain highly qualified personnel, and to be competitive with appropriate labor markets.
- To reward meritorious performance by focusing salary increases on individual achievement and contribution.
- To pay equal pay for equal work, and to develop consistency in salaries paid to persons performing equal work on jobs which require equal skill, effort and responsibility.
- To operate within the budget established by the University for staff compensation.
- To communicate effectively to enhance understanding between employees and supervisors about the key elements of the compensation program, including, but not limited to, the pay plan, performance appraisal, and classification system.
6. Administration Responsibilities
While managers and employees throughout the University have responsibility for the University's goals, the Department of Human Resources oversees the administrative aspects of the program. Questions related to the pay plan, salary surveys, position classifications, job descriptions, the performance appraisal program, and compensation policies should be referred to the Compensation Manager, who is part of the Department of Human Resources.
Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Department of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: June 1, 1994