Limited Administrative Appointments and the Hiring of Independent Contractors and Consultants
Policy number: 7.4
Policy section: Human Resources
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
It is the policy of the University to designate certain administrative staff positions as Limited Appointments. The University designates authority to certain employees who may secure the services of Independent Contractors and Consultants.
The purpose of this policy is to specify what a Limited Appointment is and how the University procures the services of Independent Contractors and Consultants.
This policy applies to employees with administrative or Limited Appointments at the University. “Contractors” and “Consultants” refer to non-employees of the University who provide limited services to the University.
4. Department Administrative Rules, Procedures, and Guidelines
The Department of Human Resources, under the purview of the Vice President for Business and Finance, has oversight and administrative responsibility for this policy and shall promulgate departmental rules, procedures, and guidelines pursuant to this policy. Detailed administrative rules, procedures and guidelines can be found on the Department of Business and Finance website.
5. Limited Appointment
- Limited Appointment is a special appointment to a designated administrative position. The Limited Appointee employee category within the University Human Resource System is comprised of employees who “serve at the pleasure of the authorized official or governing body who made the appointment.” Limited Appointment positions may include, but are not limited to:
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Corporate Officers, including Vice Presidents
- Termination or non-renewal by the University of a Limited Appointment is not appealable under University policies, except where specifically designated.
6. Independent Contractors and Consultants
The University may authorize certain administrative employees, including Limited Appointment employees, to secure the services of Independent Contractors or Consultants to perform or provide services to the University. These agreements must be reviewed by the Office of Legal Affairs, and/or the Office of Contract Administration, and signed by an authorized University officer.
Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Department of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: June 1, 1994