Policy number: 7.14
Policy section: Human Resources
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
The University will provide paid vacation to eligible staff employees based on the employee’s length of employment and other factors.
The purpose of this policy is to provide eligible employees paid vacation time for rest and relaxation, personal business, or to extend leaves of absence.
This policy applies to staff employees who are or will become eligible to accrue and use vacation days.
4. Department Administrative Rules, Procedures, Guidelines, and Related Policies
The Department of Human Resources, under the purview of the Vice President for Business and Finance, has oversight and administrative responsibility for this policy and shall promulgate departmental rules, procedures, and guidelines pursuant to this policy. Detailed eligibility and administrative rules, procedures and guidelines can be found on the Human Resources website.
5. Vacation Eligibility and Administration
- Vacation pay is based upon the current rate of pay for one’s scheduled working hours.
- Vacation hours are accrued each month based on the employee’s length of service, the employee’s regularly scheduled hours per week, and the Accrual Rate Group as defined on the HR Website.
- When the number of hours an employee is regularly scheduled to work each week changes, a new Payroll Authorization Form (“PAF”) must be submitted to the Department of Human Resources.
- It is the responsibility of each employee to report vacation accurately and in a timely manner. Supervisors must ensure that all vacation is reported and approved in accordance with University Policy 4.12, Employee Time Records. The University may adjust vacation records of employees who have failed to record vacation taken.
- Faculty members, and faculty members serving as administrators, are not subject to this policy, but are subject to the policies set forth in the Faculty Handbook.
- There may be no exceptions allowed under this policy, except those approved in writing by a Vice President or the President, prior to vacation being taken. Authorized approval for exceptions must be sent to the employee and the employee’s supervisor, with a copy forwarded to the Department of Human Resources for the employee’s file.
Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Department of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: March 2, 2015