Minister’s Family Tuition Award
Policy number: 7.12
Policy section: Human Resources
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
The University will provide a Tuition Benefits Award to certain dependents of an ordained minister of the United Methodist Church, who is an ordained minister under appointment, is retired, or is deceased.
The purpose of this policy is to provide a Tuition Benefits Award to eligible dependents of ordained ministers of the United Methodist Church.
This policy applies to the dependent child or spouse of an ordained minister of the United Methodist Church, who is an ordained minister under appointment, is retired, or is deceased.
4. Department Administrative Rules, Procedures, and Guidelines
The Department of Human Resources, under the purview of the Vice President for Business and Finance, has oversight and administrative responsibility for this policy and shall promulgate departmental rules, procedures, and guidelines pursuant to this policy.
5. Award Administration
- The Department of Human Resources is responsible for reviewing and adjudicating any issues with regard to this policy. Application for the tuition award is made through and approved by the Office of Financial Aid.
- Participating students must be candidates for a baccalaureate or graduate degree and must meet all of the standard requirements for admission to the University. This award is for full-time undergraduate or graduate study at SMU.
- Participating undergraduate students must not have received a previous baccalaureate degree at SMU or elsewhere. Participating graduate students must not have received any prior degree from SMU.
- The dependent child or spouse will receive a $3,500 tuition credit each academic term for a maximum of eight terms of full-time undergraduate or graduate study. For a summer term or an interterm, the award will be prorated in accordance with the applicable tuition.
- Participating students must maintain an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in order to maintain eligibility.
- Eligibility will continue for no more than five consecutive calendar years from the date of initial enrollment.
- This award cannot be applied toward fees or other University charges.
- This policy may be revised or terminated at the end of any semester. Under no circumstances shall it constitute a continuing obligation of the University.
Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Department of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: December 3, 2004