The Undergraduate Advisor for sociology and markets and culture majors is Professor DeArman.
306B Hyer Hall
If you have advising questions, please email Professor DeArman at email@example.com. Advising appointments are made using Calendly – please visit Professor DeArman’s Calendly webpage at Calendly.com/dearman to schedule an advising appointment.
Professor DeArman holds Open Enrollment Advising Sessions for Declared Majors and Declared Pre-Majors about three weeks before both fall and spring registrations.
Please fill out and bring the correct checklist with you to your advising appointment:
Advice for Pre-Majors
- Schedule an advising appointment with Professor DeArman to discuss what the major entails and if it is a good fit for you.
- Make sure your University Advising Center (UAC) advisor has you coded for your intended major (e.g. markets and culture pre-major or sociology pre-major). You may also email Melissa Dale (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request to be coded as a markets and culture or sociology pre-major)
- You are able to declare sociology as your major after passing SOCI 1300 (Introduction to Sociology) with a C or higher.
- You are able to declare markets and culture as your major after passing SOCI 2377 (Introduction to Markets and Culture) with a C or higher.
Quick Advising Links:
Frequently Used Forms:
- Student Enrollment Request Form
- Major Declaration Form
- Major/Minor Declaration/Change Form
- Undergraduate Petition for Advance Approval of Transfer Work for Students Under the University Curriculum
- Undergraduate Pass/Fail Option Declaration
- Student Change of Degree Program Request
- Student Petition for Change of Degree Requirements
- Graduation Walk Petition (prior to completion of degree requirements)
- Graduation Walk Petition (after completion of degree requirements)
- Four Year Plan Advising Worksheet (lined)
Other Helpful Information
- For both MKCL and SOCI students following 2013 and later catalogs, SOCI 3311 (Social Science Research Methods) and 3312 (Database Methods and Analysis) are to be taken sequentially. These courses can be taken after completing SOCI 1300 (Introduction to Sociology) or SOCI 2377 (Introduction to Markets and Culture) with a C or higher.
- For MKCL majors, SOCI 2377 (Introduction to Markets and Culture), SOCI 3377 (Sociology of Organizations) or SOCI 3376 (Sociology of Work), and SOCI 4377 (Economic Sociology) or SOCI 4384 (Sociology of Innovation) or SOCI 4376 (Social Organization of Professional Work) should be taken sequentially. In other words, you should take one of the two 3000-level markets and culture core courses after completing SOCI 2377 and you should take one of the three 4000-level markets and culture core courses after completing one of the 3000-level markets and culture core courses.
- All Department of Sociology coursework taken at the 3000- or 4000-level must be passed with a C- or higher.
- All 3000- and 4000-level classes taken to fulfill the major requirements for a sociology B.A. or sociology B.S. degree must be passed with a C- or higher.
- For students wanting pre-approved transfer credit, we only pre-approve courses if you provide a syllabus for the course you want pre-approved. We generally do not approve courses from departments of criminal justice or departments of social work.
Two semesters before planned graduation, students are strongly advised to obtain a degree check from Dedman Records (Clements Hall).