About the Award
The Larrie and Bobbi Weil Undergraduate Research Award for excellence in library research is given annually.
All undergraduate students are eligible, based on a research project completed during the preceding calendar year.
Members of the faculty, in reading and grading undergraduate research papers, choose papers for nomination. Nominated papers should demonstrate depth and breadth in the use of library research materials and clear evidence
of thoughtful command of these resources. Faculty members should notify students of their intent to nominate papers and use the submission form to nominate students' papers.
- Students must be registered for the semester in
which the award is presented.
- Any papers from a course, program or project from the
Spring, Summer, or Fall semesters (calendar year) are eligible for the
- Papers must be written in English and have one author.
How to Submit an Application
- Faculty members must nominate Weil Award submissions.
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted; faculty members will submit this form and include the student's name, course, assignment or project for which the paper was submitted, faculty member's name and contact information and attach the paper as a Word or PDF document.
- When submitting a student's work, faculty should reference the rubric and briefly explain how the work excels in these areas.
- Papers will be accepted for consideration if received before January 26, 2018. The award committee will meet to review submissions and determine the winning
- Please contact Jolene de Verges (email@example.com) with any questions.
The winning student will receive a $500 cash prize and will have an opportunity to be published in the SMU Journal of Undergraduate Research. The winning
paper will be placed in the SMU Archives in DeGolyer Special
Collections Library, and electronic copies of previous winning papers
will be available via this webpage and SMU Scholar. The award will be presented at the following spring's Honors Convocation.
Current and past recipients