To borrow items from Bridwell Library, please present your SMU ID or library card in person at the circulation desk. As a borrower you are responsible for:
- Keeping the items checked out to your account in your possession and in good condition
- Returning or renewing library materials on or before the due date
- Promptly returning any item that has been requested by another borrower
- Reporting lost or stolen library cards
- Paying any fines or fees incurred
For loan periods, renewal and borrowing limits, and fines please click on the appropriate link below:
To renew Bridwell Library materials, please:
- Go to My Library Account
- Enter either your SMU ID and password, or your library card number and last name
- Select the items you wish to renew
Items recalled or requested by another borrower are not eligible for renewal.
SMU students, faculty, or staff may request to hold or recall items that are checked out. A hold request simply reserves the item upon its return to the library. A recall request shortens the original loan period and notifies the current borrower that another patron needs the item.
To hold or recall an item first find the item's record in the library catalog. Select the “Make a Request” link (under "Actions" in the right side box) and enter your SMU ID and password or library card number and last name.
Once an item is returned, the requester is notified and has five days to pick it up.
When borrowers activate their library barcode for use they enter into an agreement with the SMU Libraries to abide by library rules and regulations.
Your library account will be automatically blocked when any of the following
- five or more books are overdue
- one or more recalled items are overdue
- you owe $20 or more to one or more SMU libraries
- the expiration date of your library account has passed
- your library or SMU ID card is reported stolen
All circulation activity, both in the library and online, will be suspended
until the reason for the block is resolved.
If an item is not returned or renewed within 30 days after the due date, it
is considered lost and the borrower will be billed for its replacement.
Standard charges include a minimum $50 replacement fee, a $25 processing
fee, and any accrued overdue fines. If the lost item is returned in good
condition prior to being replaced by the library, the replacement and processing
fees will be reversed.
A lost item may be replaced by a duplicate copy in new or “as new” condition (the Head of Acquisitions makes the final decision regarding acceptability). Overdue fines will still apply and a binding charge may also be assessed.
- Students, Staff, and Faculty
- If the fine has been posted two days or less (48 hours), you may pay with cash or check at the Circulation Desk.
- If the fine has been posted more than two days, you must pay through the Bursar's office. Check and credit card are accepted.
- Visitors and Alumni
- Pay in-person: Cash or check accepted at the Circulation Desk. We do not accept credit cards.
- Pay by mail: Pay after you receive a bill from Access Services.
If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact Access Services.