To borrow items from Bridwell Library, please present your SMU ID or library card in person at the circulation desk. As a borrower you are responsible for:
- Keeping the items checked out to your account in your possession and in good condition
- Returning or renewing library materials on or before the due date
- Promptly returning any item that has been requested by another borrower
- Reporting lost or stolen library cards
- Paying any fines or fees incurred
For loan periods, renewal and borrowing limits, and fines please click on the appropriate link below:
To renew Bridwell Library materials, please:
- Go to My Library Account
- Enter either your SMU ID and password, or log in using your Facebook credentials
- Select the items you wish to renew
Items recalled by the library or requested by another borrower are not eligible for renewal.
SMU students, faculty, or staff may request to hold items that are checked out. A hold request simply reserves the item upon its return to the library.
To hold an item find the item's record in the library catalog. Select the “Sign In” link (under the "Get It" section) and log in. Click "Request Local Copy" and complete the form.
Once an item is returned, the requester is notified and has five days to pick it up.
When borrowers activate their library barcode for use they enter into an agreement with the SMU Libraries to abide by library rules and regulations.
Your library account will be automatically blocked when any of the following
- at least one item is overdue
- one or more recalled items are overdue
- you owe $20 or more to one or more SMU libraries
- the expiration date of your library account has passed
- your library or SMU ID card is reported stolen
All circulation activity, both in the library and online, will be suspended
until the reason for the block is resolved.
If an item is not returned or renewed within 30 days after the due date, it
is considered lost and the borrower will be billed for its replacement.
Standard charges for lost and/or damaged items include a minimum $50 replacement fee, a $25 processing
fee, and any accrued overdue fines. If the lost item is returned in good
condition prior to being replaced by the library, the replacement and processing
fees will be reversed.
A lost/damaged item may be replaced by a duplicate copy in new or “as new” condition (the Head of Acquisitions makes the final decision regarding acceptability). Overdue fines will still apply and a binding charge may also be assessed.
- Students, Staff, and Faculty
- If the fine has been posted 1 day or less (24 hours), you may pay with cash,check, or credit card at the Circulation Desk.
- If the fine has been posted more than 1 day, you must pay through the Bursar's office. Check and credit card are accepted.
- Visitors and Alumni
- Pay in-person: Cash, credit card, or check accepted at the Circulation Desk.
- Pay by mail: Pay after you receive a bill from Access Services.
If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact Access Services.