Each year Bridwell Library of the Perkins School of Theology offers fellowships promoting independent study via on site access to the library’s rich collection of resources.
Bridwell Library holds over 400,000 volumes on religion, theology, and related fields and offers access to more than one million Methodist-related archival documents, photographs, and recordings.
Special collections include extensive holdings in theological, liturgical, and devotional texts from the fifteenth to the nineteenth century, with particular emphasis on English sermons, religious polemic, and church history. In addition, Bridwell Library houses a significant Bible collection, including medieval manuscripts and scrolls, major monuments of fifteenth-century printing, important translations and commentaries of the Reformation period, missionary Bibles in diverse languages, and modern fine press editions.
Special collections holdings are also rich in literature, history, philosophy, art, and provide information critical to the study and understanding of textual transmission and the development of the book arts.
The archives at Bridwell Library comprise extensive holdings of Methodist-related primary resources generated by bishops, ministers, missionaries, educators, institutions, and organizations.
Terms and Requirements
- Each fellowship consists of a stipend of $1,000/week for up to two weeks to help defray travel, living, and research expenses.
- Fellows are expected to conduct their research at Bridwell Library.
- Applicants must reside at least 100 miles away from the Southern Methodist University campus (Dallas, TX), in order to be eligible.
- Recipients are responsible for making their own travel and housing arrangements; a listing of hotels near campus is available upon request.
- Fellows publishing materials resulting directly from the study period are expected to acknowledge the Bridwell Library Fellowship and Bridwell Library resources in the work and provide one copy for the library collections.
The fellowship period for the Visiting Scholar and Center for Methodist Studies Fellowships may be scheduled at any time during the year from June 1 of the year in which the award is made through May 31 of the following year. The fellowship period for the Visiting Minister’s Fellowship must be scheduled to include the November 11-12, 2019 Convocation.
Applicants should send the following information to the address below:
· A completed Bridwell Library Fellowship Checklist and Application Form;
· A curriculum vitae or resume;
· A research proposal of no more than two pages in length describing the proposed research project and the Bridwell Library collections that would be utilized;
· Two letters of reference
· These materials should be sent by postal or electronic mail to:
ATTN: Bridwell Fellowships
Southern Methodist University
PO Box 750476
Dallas, TX 75275-0476
To be considered, all application materials must be at Bridwell Library by Monday, April 1, 2019
Awards will be announced by Monday, April 22, 2019 by postal or electronic mail.
For additional information, email email@example.com or call 214-768-3483.