Counseling Services

Counseling Services

Personal Counseling

The college years are traditionally a time when students experience increased personal growth and maturity through their encounters with different people, values, and concepts. Learning to balance the resources of time, energy, and freedom with academic responsibilities and interpersonal relationships can be difficult for even the most successful students.

The staff of Counseling Services provide short-term individual counseling and psychiatric services to assist students in identifying, assessing, and resolving concerns which may interfere with their academic, social and emotional growth and development. Among the concerns commonly presented by students are adjustment issues, relationships, alcohol/drug abuse, eating concerns, emotional problems, and sexuality issues.

Group Counseling

Group therapy is a form of treatment that allows participants to learn about themselves and their relationships. It’s an ideal space to address personal difficulties because these are often shared by other members of the group. A significant benefit of group therapy includes not feeling as alone since others in the group will likely have experienced similar concerns. Most participants, though somewhat apprehensive at first, report that the group experience was helpful far beyond their expectations.

Group is often an ideal treatment option, and may be best for your concerns. It’s a safe place to share with others who have experiences similar to yours. You may find that in group you will feel understood because you are able to interact with people who are struggling with issues. Our therapy groups provide a space for giving and receiving feedback and support, allowing you to gain multiple perspectives, practice skills, try out new behaviors, and learn how to have more satisfying relationships. Our support groups provide an atmosphere conducive to sharing your concerns with others whose lives are impacted by similar issues.

If you are interested, please contact (214) 768-2277 to schedule a pre-group consultation appointment with your group facilitators.

Psychological Services for Women and Gender Issues

Individual Counseling

Personal counseling is provided for a variety of concerns, but particular attention is paid to issues such as relationships, unplanned pregnancies, sexual assault, sexual harassment, and sexual orientation.

Sexual Harassment

It is helpful to talk to someone you trust to receive needed support and feedback in the case of sexual harassment. Many victims of sexual harassment feel ashamed, angry, even frightened, and have a tendency to blame themselves for the incident. The Coordinator of Psychological Services for Women can be particularly helpful if you need emotional support, clarification about the nature of the incident, and information on University policies and procedures.

Sexual Assault

Please call 911 for the appropriate police department and contact the Office of Psychological Services for Women at 214-768-4795. If you have just been raped or sexually assaulted, it is important for you to get help immediately.

Even if the assault occurred some time ago, sexual assault can continue to affect you emotionally and physically. You may be experiencing a variety of feelings: shock, denial, fear, numbness, mistrust, powerlessness, and/or self-blame. These feelings may cause you to behave in ways you normally would not. You may be experiencing disturbances in your sleeping patterns, and your eating habits may change. You may find that you do not wish to be alone or that you fear strangers.

Remember that recovery takes time and that counseling can help you deal with these issues and concerns.

Educational Counseling

Many students experience some type of academic difficulties during their college years. Some common problems are poor concentration, time management difficulties, lack of motivation, procrastination, and test anxiety. The Health Center offers educational counseling to address these concerns.

Crisis Intervention

A crisis is any situation in which a person needs assistance in order to adequately cope. Our mental health professionals make every effort to respond quickly to a student in crisis. In most cases, the student can talk to a professional immediately. Students in crisis do not need an appointment and can come to the main desk at the Counseling Services (214-768-2277). After hours, call 214-768-2277 for the counselor on-call.