Participants in immersion courses are required to attend a designated GTE Orientation session.
• J-Term 2016 immersion course applications will not be accepted prior to August, 2015. Exact dates for application submissions are TBD.
• J-Term and Spring Term 2016 immersion course orientation will be announced soon. Please check regularly for updates.
All immersions outside the U.S. require a U.S. passport valid for six months following the ending date of the immersion. No application will be accepted without a copy of a valid U.S. passport.
For inquiries about the academic content and travel schedules of immersions, please contact the faculty member in charge.
Application forms (for submission to the Global Theological Education office): Immersion Application Form
For all other inquiries, contact the Global Theological Education office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
No advance applications will be accepted.
• May 17–31, 2015 » South Africa Student Immersion —
Division IV: Dr. Evelyn Parker
• J-Term (dates to be announced) » China Student Immersion: Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing —
Division I: Dr. Sze-kar Wan
• J-Term (dates to be announced) » Homeless Persons Student Immersion: Waco, Texas —
Division IV: Dr. Hugo Magallenes
• J-Term: January 3–16, 2016 » Palestine/Israel Student Immersion —
Division I: Dr. Jaime Clark-Soles
Spring Break 2016
• El Salvador Student Immersion (dates to be announced) —
Division IV: Dr. Hal Recinos
• Cuba Student Immersion (dates to be announced) —
Division II: Dr. Carlos Cardoza-Orlandi
• United Methodist Church General Conference Student Immersion: Portland, Oregon (dates to be announced) — Division IV: Dr. William B. Lawrence, Dean of Perkins School of Theology and Bishop D. Max Whitfield
• January 3–14 » Palestine/Israel Student and Alumni/ae Immersions — Division II:
Dr. Robert Hunt and Dr. Jaime Clark-Soles
• January 13–18 » Homeless Immersion in Waco — Division IV:
Dr. Hugo Magallanes
• May 18–24 » Oklahoma Student Immersion: Exploring Native Peoples — Division IV:
Dr. Elaine Heath [Syllabus (PDF)]
Spring Break 2014
• El Salvador Student Immersion — Division IV: Dr. Hal Recinos
• Dec. 29, 2013 – Jan. 14, 2014 » Palestine-Israel Immersion, Division II:
Dr. Robert Hunt | View Schedule (PDF)
• May 20 – June 4 » Taizé, France Immersion, Division IV:
Dr. Heidi Miller and Dr. Michael Hawn
• May 31 – June 17 » South Africa Immersion, Division IV:
Dr. Evelyn Parker
Spring Break 2013
• March 8–17 » Cuba Immersion, Division II: Dr. Carlos Cardoza-Orlandi
• China Immersion — Division I: Dr. Sze-kar Wan
• Nepal Immersion — Division II: Dr. Ruben Habito
• Waco Immersion — Division IV: Dr. Hugo Magallanes
Palestinian Territories/Israel — January 2–19, 2012: Christianity in the Holy Land (Dr. Valerie Karras)
Waco, Texas — January 9-15, 2012: Experiencing a Culture of Homelessness/Christian Community Development Immersion Class
(Dr. Hugo Magallanes)
Taizé, France — May 15–30, 2011: Worship in an Ecumenical European Tradition (Dr. Michael Hawn and Dr. Mark Stamm)
South Africa — July 24 – August 7, 2011: Stories of the People of South Africa (Dr. Evelyn Parker and Dr. Alyce McKenzie)
Immersion courses are open to all Perkins students and to non-student auditors.