The primary purpose of the recruitment and admission of international students at Perkins School of Theology is the preparation of leaders in theological education and ecclesiastical service in the student’s country of origin. Application requirements are as follows:
1) The completion of a four year undergraduate-level theological degree or its equivalent following the first eleven to twelve years of basic elementary and secondary education. Applicants interested in the Master of Arts in Ministry (M.A.M.) degree require an undergraduate university-level degree.
2) The degree should be completed with a "B-minus" average or above.
3) References from church and academic leaders who know the applicant well and can testify to the applicant's seriousness of purpose, maturity, and capability.
4) In addition to the standard requirements for admission, applicants who have not previously studied in English must verify their English proficiency with a minimum score of 600 (paper-based) or 250 (computer-based) on the TOEFL or 100 (internet-based). The SMU school code for submitting TOEFL scores is 6660. These scores may be submitted in any of various ways at the direction of the Office of Admission depending on available resources. Beyond TOEFL proficiency, typing and/or computer skills are essential.
5) Application must be submitted by December 15 to be considered for August admission. International students may begin studies at Perkins in the fall semester only, necessitating that applications be submitted by December 15 of the previous year.