August 28, 2012
A female SMU student reported she was sexually assaulted about 9:10 p.m. Monday near the north entrance to Carr Collins Hall in the Law Quad in the 3300 block of Daniel Street.
The suspect is described as a white male who was wearing a dark hoodie, dark jeans and dark-colored tennis shoes. The victim also said he had a deep voice that was raspy.
The alleged sexual assault is under investigation by the SMU Police Department. Anyone with information about this matter is asked to contact the SMU Police Department at 214-768-3388. Information also may be reported anonymously through the Police Department’s Silent Witness Program by calling
214-SMU-2TIP or http://www.smu.edu/2tip
Personal Safety Tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings, especially after dark.
- Whenever possible walk with others, especially after dark.
- If you need a ride on campus in the evening or early morning hours, call Giddy-Up at 214-768-1111 or the SMU Police Department at 214-768-3333. If you are off campus, SMU Rides will provide transportation to campus on Thursdays, Fridays or Saturdays between 10:30 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. by calling Cowboy Cab at 214-768-RIDE or 214-768-743.
- Sign up for a self-defense course by calling 214-768-2607. Such courses teach valuable techniques a person can use to get away from an attacker.
- Report any crime or suspicious activity immediately by calling 911 or the SMU Police Department at 214-768-3333. Time is of the essence.
- Exercise caution when you are with people you do not know.
If you are sexually assaulted:
- Call the police and seek medical attention immediately. Time is critical in such cases. (214-768-3388 or 911).
- Have a Sexual Assault Exam performed at Presbyterian Hospital. SMU Police are available to take you to the hospital, but you can go without the police and you do not have to make a police report.
- A representative from SMU Counseling and Psychiatric Services will be available to accompany you (214-768-4795).
- Don't bathe or shower. A physician will need to gather forensic evidence from you.
- Save your clothing, bed sheets, pillow covers, etc. Do not wash them. Police will need these items, too. Do not drink any liquids if you were assaulted orally.
- Seek counseling from SMU Counseling and Psychiatric Services at 214-768-2277.