December 7, 2009
DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU Lettermen's Association recently honored SMU Trustee David B. Miller with its prestigious Silver Anniversary Mustang Award.
A special presentation was made December 2 during halftime at the men's basketball game against TCU in Moody Coliseum.
Each year, the SMU Lettermen's Association awards the Silver Anniversary Mustang Award to a former letterwinner who graduated over 25 years ago. The recipients' accomplishments bring honor to SMU and highlight the outstanding contributions they have made to their communities.
Miller graduated from SMU with an undergraduate degree in finance in 1972 and earned his MBA in 1973. He lettered in basketball 1969-1972 and was a 3-year starter and member of the 1972 Southwest Conference Co-Championship team.
Miller started his professional career as an energy lender and subsequently formed two oil and gas companies. He is currently the Senior Managing Partner and Co-founder of EnCap Investments, one of the 50 largest private equity firms in the world.
Miller's list of past and current professional and civic affiliations is extensive, but some of his roles have included:
- Member of the National Petroleum Council, which serves in an advisory capacity to the Secretary of Energy
- Member of the Board and Executive Committee of Senior Source
- Member of the Board of Goodwill Industries
- SMU Trustee, member of Trustee Standing Committees for Athletics and Finance/Investments
- Member of the Cox School of Business Executive Board
- Second Century Campaign Co-Chair for Cox School of Business and member of Athletics Campaign Committee
- Honorary Chair of Make-a Wish Foundation's Wish Night Celebration in 2009 with his wife Carolyn Miller
# # #