Parents and Families

Supporting Your Student at SMU

The transition from high school to college can be just as exciting, stressful, confusing, and rewarding for parents and families as it can be for the new college student. For students with disabilities, there are different laws, procedures, and expectations pertaining to college-level disability support like accommodations and other services. They will be exploring and self-advocating without direct family involvement and without a 504 plan or IEP. With that in mind, we at DASS would like to share some resources for parents and families of students making the transition to SMU.

Other Resources

Many parents have found Jane Jarrow's "Open Letter to Parents of Students about to Enter College" to be both informative and comforting. Jane Jarrow is a respected, well-known figure in the field of disability services, from her 14 year tenure as Executive Director of the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) to her current work as a consultant for the disability community. Dr. Jarrow is also the parent of a student with a significant disability, and knows these issues from both personal and professional perspectives.
The College Accommodation section of ADHD/LD consultant Elizabeth Cohen Hamblet's website contains a wealth of information about the differences between high school and college level disability services and accommodations.
"Ask the Expert: Your Student was Admitted. Now What?" is an excellent webcast hosted by The National Resource Center on ADHD and presented by Michele Oelking, Director of the Academic Success Center at Tulane University.