A peer led, weekly discussion group that allows transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming students to meet and discuss a wide range of topics associated with being transgender. Visit the Spectrum on connect.smu for meeting times.
If you have a change in name, you must provide the with your Social Security card, the form issued by the Social Security Administration, or a valid passport. Enrollment or records services for the student under a name different from the last enrollment cannot be accomplished without one of the above documents. All transcripts and diplomas are issued only under a person’s legal name as recorded by the University Registrar’s Office.
- If you wish to use a name other than your legal name, you can add a preferred name to your file, or update a preferred name already on file, using the self-service functions in the my.SMU Student Homepage.
- The University will make efforts to use your preferred name in communications and in the course of university business. However, there are situations that due to business practices, legal requirements or system limitations the use of a primary/legal name will be used.
- A preferred name is a first, middle and/or last name that may be chosen to be used instead of legal first, middle and last name.
- There is no documentation required to create or change a preferred name.
- The University advises that if you choose to use a preferred name, you should use it consistently and resist changing it frequently.
- SMU has many offices that keep records with student names and many data systems used for specific applications.
- In addition to updating their preferred name in my.SMU, you may need to notify some offices regarding your use of a preferred name.
Here is a partial list of standard name usage:
|Display name – my.SMU Student Homepage||Preferred name, if provided|
|Instructor Class Roster||Preferred name, if provided|
|Instructor Grade Roster||Preferred name, if provided|
|Canvas||Preferred name, if provided|
|Global Directory of email addresses||Preferred name, if provided|
|SMU online directory||Preferred name, if provided|
|SMU ID Card||Primary (legal) name – under review|
|Financial Aid related forms and documents||Primary (legal) name|
|Official Academic Transcript||Primary (legal) name|
|Diploma||Primary (legal) name or derivative|
|Degree Verifications||Primary (legal) name|
|Housing / Residence Life||Preferred first name, Primary last name|
|SEVIS Reporting (international students)||Primary (legal) name|
*The above information can be found in the .
There are several gender inclusive single stall restrooms on campus for those who may need them. You can find a campus map listing all the Inclusive restrooms on campus here: . Also, due to new construction and renovations of existing buildings, there may be restrooms that are not included in this list. Please email us at with any updates to this list.