- If you are interested in participating in Panhellenic Formal Recruitment in January, registration OPENS September 9 and CLOSES November 10 at 11:59PM. No registrations will be processed or allowed after that date.
- All registration fees/costs are non-refundable.
- The SMU Panhellenic Council does not require nor manage recommendations. Any recommendations must be mailed directly to the chapters. Please visit the chapter websites with specific information and requirements for each organization. Any recommendations that come to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life will be discarded.
- Traditionally, between 550-600 women will start the formal recruitment process. Historically, about 10 women are unfortunately left without an invitation to membership. While the recruitment process is not perfect, the numbers indicate that overall, if a woman has an open mind and wants to join an organization - one will be available for her. Too often, though, women go through the process with a narrower opinion. Unfortunately, this attitude poses a real danger for disappointment and should be considered before a woman chooses to participate in the process.
- Legacies (those with relatives who are/were members) are not guaranteed bids. Every year, women who are legacies to chapters are disappointed because they are not given an invitation to membership. Additionally, each chapter has differing policies on how legacies are managed, invited and bid. This can be mitigated by participating with an open mind and realizing that each chapter offers something great in their own unique way.
- While we cannot guarantee a bid, historically women who maximize their options in the formal recruitment process (meaning they attend all recruitment parties to which they are invited and rank all available options on preference night) have been matched successfully and received a bid.
- Residence Halls open in early January. Each student should work with her Resident Assistant and Residential Community Director to determine when they can move back in.
- Formal recruitment will take place the week prior to the start of the spring semester. Please check www.smupanhellenic.com for details.
Please visit www.smupanhellenic.com for a full and up to date schedule as well as the link to register. Those interested in participating in formal recruitment MUST attend both mandatory information sessions.
Sunday, September 6th, 2020: Recruitment Registration Opens
Tuesday, September 15th, 2020: Mandatory Formal Recruitment Information Session #1 - Virtual
Tuesday, October 27th, 2020: Mandatory Formal Recruitment Information Session #2 - Virtual
Tuesday, November 10th, 2020: Deadline to Register for Recruitment in January (late registrations will NOT be accepted.
2020 Formal Recruitment: Early January (week prior to the start of the spring semester)
Continuous Open Bidding is the process in which Panhellenic organizations continue to extend bids during an informal recruiting process in both the spring and fall semester to eligible students. This recruitment process in the Fall semester is for upper class women only (those that have passed and completed at least 12 college credit hours at SMU in a long semester (i.e. Fall or Spring)
Fall COB Registration
Interested? Attend the information session virtually on Tuesday, September 1st, 2020.
Registration Fee: N/A