When some people look over a classroom, they just see kids. When teachers look across a classroom, they see the future. Through the generosity of the Raise Your Hand Texas Foundation and philanthropist Charles Butt, SMU is able to award scholarships to aspiring teachers who want to shape the future through the success of their students—students who are able to contribute to community growth, economic prosperity, and an educated citizenry.
The Charles Butt Scholarship
• A scholarship of up to $8,000 annually for up to four years.
• Opportunities to develop and practice pedagogical skills in authentic classroom settings and to observe masterful teaching.
• Mentorship from a local educator or principal.
• Participation in an online community and local and statewide meetings of Charles Butt Scholars.
• Financial support to attend the Raise Your Hand Texas Leadership Symposium.
• Ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
• Professional support in preparation for graduation.
Scholarship Selection Criteria
• Enrolled as an SMU undergraduate (sophomore-senior) in any major with Educational Studies as a second major. At the post-baccalaureate level, all Master of Education with Educator Preparation applicants are required to complete the Charles Butt Scholarship application before submitting their SMU application.
• Be a Texas resident.
• Provide evidence of a strong academic record and history of achievement.
• Demonstrate peer or group leadership skills
• Be committed to a career in professional education in high-need Texas public schools.
• Remain a full-time student enrolled in a program that leads to teaching certification.
• Maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average.
• Participate in Raise Your Hand professional-development activities.
• Receive a letter of recommendation for continuation from your teacher preparation program director each year.
• Plan to teach in a high-need classroom in a Texas public school upon completion of the program.
• Complete the Charles Butt Scholarship application.
• Meet with the program advisor to review your application and transcripts.
A meeting request will be sent by the program advisor.
• Anticipate a possible interview in April 2021 with SMU faculty.
• Application Deadline for Fall 2021 Cohort - April 15
• SMU Interviews - Week of April 18
• Regional selection interviews conducted with scholarship finalists - TBD
• Scholarship recipients are notified. - TBD
To Learn More about this Opportunity