The Charles Butt Scholarship
• A scholarship of up to $8,000 annually for up to four years.
• Opportunities to develop and practice pedagogical skills in authentic classroom settings and to observe masterful teaching.
• Mentorship from a local educator or principal.
• Participation in an online community and local and statewide meetings of Charles Butt Scholars.
• Financial support to attend the Raise Your Hand Texas Leadership Symposium.
• Ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
• Professional support in preparation for graduation.
Scholarship Selection Criteria
• Enrolled as an SMU undergraduate (sophomore-senior) in any major with Educational Studies as a second major. Or a qualified Master of Education: Educator Preparation Program applicant.
• Be a Texas resident.
• Provide evidence of a strong academic record and history of achievement.
• Demonstrate peer or group leadership skills
• Be committed to a career in professional education in high-need Texas public schools.
• Remain a full-time student enrolled in a program that leads to teaching certification.
• Maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average.
• Participate in Raise Your Hand professional-development activities.
• Receive a letter of recommendation for continuation from your teacher preparation program director each year.
• Plan to teach in a high-need classroom in a Texas public school upon completion of the program.
• Complete the Charles Butt Scholarship application.
• Meet with the program advisor to review your application and transcripts.
A meeting request will be sent by the program advisor.
• Anticipate a possible interview in February 2020 with SMU faculty.
• Application Deadline for Fall 2020 Cohort - February 21
• SMU Interviews - Week of February 22
• Regional selection interviews conducted with scholarship finalists - April 14
• Scholarship recipients are notified. - April 24
To Learn More about this Opportunity