It can be stressful to find out that things aren’t going as you’d hoped at SMU. You may feel angry or sad about your academic standing, but we want you to know that being on academic probation does not end your pursuit of a degree at SMU. It’s been said, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together" (African Proverb). You’re not alone, and we are here to help you with this academic hurdle. Here are a few things to consider:
- All pre-major students on academic probation are required to attend a workshop at the beginning of the semester. This workshop is offered more than once to give you an opportunity to find a time that fits your schedule. Information about the workshop will be emailed and mailed to you, so be sure to check your email regularly and make sure your mailing address is current. If you find that you have a schedule conflict once you receive the information, please contact Gracy Herrera at 214-768-6487 or firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- Complete the Student Self-Assessment. You’ll do this at the workshop. This is a reflective tool that assesses certain areas of your academic life that are important for a successful college career. It will be used to inform and create your Academic Success Agreement when you meet with your academic counselor.
- All pre-major students on academic probation are required to complete an Academic Success Agreement. After the workshop, you will schedule an initial appointment with an academic counselor who will review your self-assessment and help you complete your academic success agreement.
- We offer individual academic counseling appointments just for you. It is strongly recommended that you meet with your academic counselor on a recurring basis as a part of your agreement to return to good academic standing. If you are a pre-major student on academic probation, contact Gracy Herrera at 214-768-6487 or email@example.com.
- Consider enrolling in HDEV 1211: Success Strategies. You might decide after reflecting on your last semester that you’ve had some trouble with study skills and strategies. HDEV 1211 may be the perfect class to work into your plan for getting back on track.