Policy number: 9.5
Policy section: Police & Public Safety
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
To the fullest extent of federal and state law, the University prohibits the possession of any dangerous weapon, or facsimiles of dangerous weapons, (either openly or in a concealed manner) within all University property, athletic venues, passenger transportation vehicles, and any grounds or building on which University activities are conducted.
2. The Weapons
These items include but are not limited to:
- Clubs; including blackjacks, nightsticks, maces, tomahawks, or nunchucks.
- Knives, including, but not limited to:
- any knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
- hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown, including “throwing stars”;
- daggers, including but not limited to: a dirk, stiletto, or poniard;
- bowie knife;
- sword; or
- Explosives, including incendiary devices, grenades, rockets, or mines.
- Chemical dispensing devices (this does not include self-defense sprays legally sold over the counter an exclusively used for self-defense).
- Dangerous weapons.
- Cross bows.
- Pellet guns.
- Paintball guns.
- Blow guns.
- Stun guns.
- Spear guns.
- Look-a-like facsimiles or toys.
- Weapons or reasonable facsimiles of weapons used for pursuit and attack games, including but not limited to; Gotcha, Assassin, and Dungeons & Dragons, are not permitted on campus.
3. Off-Campus Storage
Student-owned sporting firearms or other weapons (including all BB and pellet guns) are the responsibility of the owner and must be stored at an appropriate location off campus.
Any violation of this policy is considered a serious offense, and will be dealt with accordingly by any or all of the following University offices:
- University Police Department
- SMU Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards
- Office of the Dean of Student Life
- Office of Residence Life and Student Housing
5. Authorized Carriers
Members duly authorized by University or other accredited law enforcement offices may carry firearms in performance of their duties.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: August 1, 2016