Caroline M. Jones Scholarship
The Caroline M. Jones Memorial Scholarship was established as an endowed scholarship honoring Miss Caroline M. Jones, a staff member who served SMU for over 30 years. “Carrie” Jones, as she was affectionately called, served under three Deans. Her last position was Assistant to the Dean of Instruction, where she had helped over 10,000 students file their degree plans. One of these students was Willis M. Tate, who ultimately became President of SMU. This scholarship is an endowment built from memorials given in her name by many staff, faculty, and alumni.
- Full-time undergraduate students that have maintained a GPA of 3.2 or higher on all college-level academic work.
- No honor violations, disciplinary actions, or make-leave decisions pending.
- Plan to be enrolled full-time in undergraduate studies during the 2021-2022 academic school year.
- Demonstrated financial need - to verify, please contact your financial aid counselor.
- Caroline M. Jones Scholarship Application
Available during the month of May.
- 500-750 word double-spaced essay
Please format in 12 point (pt) Times New Roman or Arial font and answer the following question: "Why is serving the community as relevant and important to your overall personal growth as your academic record?" The essay must be saved as a PDF file and attached to the application.
- Community Service Volunteer Resume (at SMU and elsewhere)
Please use traditional resume format and lists only volunteer activities, including contact information for verification. The resume must be saved as PDF file and attached to the application.
- Degree Progress Report
The Degree Progress Report must be saved as PDF file and attached to the application.
- Winner will receive a $10,000 scholarship.
- Awards must be used for tuition, fees, room, and board.
- Unused balance will be returned to the Caroline M. Jones Scholarship fund.
- Awards will be funded at 50% of amount for Fall 2021 term and 50% of amount for Spring 2022 term.
Important Dates and Information
- Applications are now being accepted.
- Applications must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. on April 14, 2021.
- The winner will be notified on May 17, 2021.
- Applications will not be accepted in person.
Application deadline: April 14, 2021
For questions, please contact Lana Dee Phillips, Vice President of Service and Activities
for the SMU Staff Association at email@example.com.