The Caroline M. Jones Memorial Scholarship was established as an endowed scholarship honoring Miss Caroline M. Jones, a staff member who served SMU for over 30 years. “Carrie” Jones, as she was affectionately called, served under three Deans. Her last position was Assistant to the Dean of Instruction, where she had helped over 10,000 students file their degree plans. One of these students was Willis M. Tate, who ultimately became President of SMU. This scholarship is an endowment built from memorials given in her name by many staff, faculty, and alumni.
- An undergraduate enrolled full-time.
- Maintain an overall SMU GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- No honor violations, disciplinary actions, or make-leave decisions pending.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Must plan to be enrolled full-time in undergraduate studies for the 2024-2025 academic year.
- Caroline M. Jones Scholarship Application
Application submittal begins April 4, 2024.
- 500-750 word double-spaced essay
Please format in 12 point (pt) Times New Roman or Arial font and answer the following question: "Why is serving the community as relevant and important to your overall personal growth as your academic record?"
- Community Service Volunteer Resume (at SMU and elsewhere)
Please use traditional resume format and list only volunteer activities, including contact information for verification.
- Degree Progress Report
A copy of your current Degree Progress Report.
- Winner will receive a $10,000 scholarship.
- Awards must be used for tuition, fees, room, and board.
- Unused balance will be returned to the Caroline M. Jones Scholarship fund.
- Awards will be funded at 50% of amount for Fall 2024 term and 50% of amount for Spring 2025 term.
Important Dates and Information
- Applications accepted beginning April 4, 2024.
- Applications must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. on April 25, 2024.
- The winner will be notified by May 6, 2024.
- Applications should be ONE COMBINED PDF FILE consisting of all elements listed above, submitted to email@example.com for consideration.
- Applications will not be accepted in person.
Application deadline: April 25, 2024
For questions, please contact Claudia Favela, Vice President of Service and Activities
for the SMU Staff Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.