We admit students to the Ph.D. program who have been awarded a B.A. or M.A. degree. All students admitted to the Ph.D. program in English will receive fellowship support. Our aim for the Ph.D. is to graduate comprehensively trained scholar-teachers prepared to assume college and university positions, as well as a range of other non-academic jobs that benefit from advanced academic preparation. We are committed to ensuring our graduates’ professional success through a program featuring:
- One-to-one student-faculty ratio, ensuring small seminars and ample options for tutorial studies.
- Fellowships for all doctoral candidates for six full years at extraordinarily generous rates, followed by the opportunity for a seventh year as a Visiting Assistant Professor.
- Medical benefits, tuition waivers, summer seminars in Taos, NM, and professional travel support for all doctoral Fellows.
- Opportunities for doctoral Fellows to teach writing and literature classes, beginning in year two.
- Dissertation-year support for all doctoral Fellows.
- Close mentoring from matriculation to and beyond graduation.