Specific circumstances call for an interim or “off-cycle” check to be issued before the next scheduled pay date. The off-cycle check provision is not, however, to be used as an alternative to submitting payroll information in a timely manner.
An off-cycle check will be processed for one of the following circumstances:
- The employee received no money at all on the regular pay day
- The employee is missing more than $50.00 from a biweekly check
- The employee is missing more than $250.00 from a monthly check
- The employee's job is being involuntarily terminated
Pay for extra compensation (that is in addition to the employee's base pay) is not eligible to be processed on an off-cycle check - regardless of the amount.
An off-cycle check request will be considered for payment only after the following documentation has been submitted to the Payroll Office:
A request for an off-cycle check that meets the criteria and is submitted with all appropriate documentation to the Payroll Office by 10:00 AM of an off-cycle processing day will be included with that day's off-cycle payroll.
The off-cycle payrolls are scheduled to be processed twice a week, on Monday and Thursday. Note: An individual off-cycle payroll may be temporarily moved to another day of the week to accommodate an SMU holiday or irregular scheduled payroll processing. If an off-cycle payroll is going to be delayed, the person(s) who submitted a request will be notified of the modified check issue date.
An off-cycle paycheck will be available for pickup at the Payroll Office at 8:30 AM on the day after it was processed (typically Tuesday or Friday). The employee and/or requesting department will be notified when the off-cycle check is ready to be picked up.
* NOTE * Direct deposit is not available for off-cycle payments!
Procedure to Request an Off-cycle Check
- Determine that the payment meets one of the criteria listed above
- Verify that the employee wants an off-cycle check
- Complete and submit the Off-Cycle Check Request Form
- Ensure that Payroll has all necessary pay documents (Hire/Rehire form, TIMEaccess record) to process the payment.