Wired Network Connections
High speed wired connections are available in all of the rooms and study rooms. Computers or devices must be configured to obtain an IP address automatically. Please maintain one connection per jack.
Wireless Network Connections
PerunaNet is available in all of the residence halls, fraternity houses and a few sorority houses. This is the secured wireless network and should be used if your device supports the configuration.
SMU_Guest is the unsecured wireless network. It can be used for devices that do not support the security configuration on PerunaNet.
Printers: Printers can not be joined to PerunaNet as that would allow everyone to print to your printer! Please use a printer cable.
Cell Phone Signal: If you do not have a strong cell phone signal in your room, please contact your cell phone provider for a cell phone extender. These have to be registered on the Wired network before they will work. SMU is in the process of building a Distributed Antenna System to address cell phone coverage issues throughout campus.
Chromecast devices will not work on the network even if they are registered.
Register Your Device
How do I register my devices?
We have a short video tutorial on how to register your device.
If you are connecting to the Wired network or to the SMU_Guest network, you must register the device annually before obtaining an internet connection. The device will be registered for 365 days. Please only use SMU_Guest wireless for devices that can not connect to the secured wireless network (PerunaNet).
In order to register your device you will need to do the following:
- Obtain the device's MAC address
- Register the MAC address
- Power off the device for several minutes
- Create a New Connection
For detailed instructions for your particular device, click here.
Apple TV must be connected to the Wired network if you wish to do AirPlay. The device currently does not connect to PerunaNet. After you have registered the device and obtained a valid internet connection, please do the following to use AirPlay:
- On your Apple TV- go to Settings > AirPlay
- Set the Security to "Onscreen Code". When a device attempts to pair with your Apple TV, a code will appear on the screen. You must enter this code on the other Apple Device in order to connect. This will prevent others from connecting to your device without approval.
- On the Apple Device that you wish to connect to your Apple TV, enable Bluetooth.
- When you attempt to AirPlay, you will be prompted to enter the onscreen code before the content will be displayed on your Apple TV.
- Apple TV with version 6.1 (device can’t be older than 2 years)
- iOS device with version 7.1 (iPad 3 generation or beyond, iPhone 4S or beyond, iTouch 5th generation or beyond, iPad mini- all versions)
- Internet Connection on both devices
- Bluetooth 4.0
- The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring when using OS X Mountain Lion or later:
- iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
- Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)