There are several teams dedicated to providing technical support and on site assistance for the SMU community. If you need assistance from any of our teams, don't hesitate to contact the IT Help Desk! We look forward to serving you.
IT Help Desk
The Office of Information Technology provides a number of resources to help answer your technology questions and provide guidance when seeking a technology solution.
The Help Desk is located in the Fondren Library West lobby, adjacent to the Collaborative Commons and Starbucks Café.
Semester Hours *
|Monday through Thursday:
||8:00 AM – 9:00 PM
||8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
||9:00 AM – 5:00 PM*
*Walk-in hours begin at noon.
||12:00 PM – 8:00 PM
|Monday through Thursday:
|| 8 AM – 9 PM
|| 8 AM – 6 PM
|Saturday and Sunday:
||12 PM – 6 PM
* Semester Hours begin the first day of class and end on the last day of exams.
Contact the Help Desk
Classroom Emergency Support
Please phone 214-768-8888 to request assistance.
The Help Desk provides support to the entire campus community. In addition to supporting current faculty, staff and students, the Help Desk provides limited assistance to retirees, parents and prospective students. The Help Desk consists of five full time employees. All of the Help Desk staff are HDI certified and are committed to providing exceptional service.
The Help Desk is available to answer questions regarding any of the services that IT provides and any of the software applications that we support. They are able to assist with network configurations, software troubleshooting and training, email support and configuration, and more. The Help Desk staff uses remote tools as well as a shared knowledge base to help provide resolutions to reported issues as quickly as possible. All requests for assistance are documented in the Help Desk software. If the Help Desk is unable to resolve the issue, the ticket will be routed to the appropriate IT technician for resolution. The Help Desk makes every effort to respond to each request the same day it is received.
Service Level Agreements
In order to ensure that your requests for assistance are handled in a timely manner, service level agreements have been configured in the help desk software. Each help request is assigned a priority based on the severity of the request. The "clock" starts running the minute the request is opened. As each threshold is exceeded, additional notifications are sent to the assignee to ensure that each help request is resolved appropriately. The default SLA and thresholds appear below (business hours are calculated as 8-5 Monday through Friday).
- Emergency: 4 hour target turn around
- High: 9 hour turn around
- Medium: 24 hour target turnaround
- Low: 1 week target turnaround time
The Help Desk Staff includes
- Lauren Nelson: HDI Certified Analyst, Help Desk Manager
- Gina Benavides: HDI Certified Analyst, Apple Support Center Certified, MOS Excel
- Janet Asberry: HDI Certified Analyst, Apple Support Center Certified, MOS Outlook
- Jonathan Bull: HDI Certified Analyst
- Margaret Dew: HDI Certified Analyst
- Shanta Ball: HDI Certified Analyst, Certified Apple Care Service Provider
- Byron Craig: HDI Certified Analyst
SMU Classrooms are equipped with a wide range of technology resources to assist in teaching. Most classrooms are equipped with computers, projectors and audio capabilities. Additional equipment such as classroom response systems, VCRs, etc are available by request.
- Emergency support as well as training is available whenever classes are in session.
- If classroom help is needed, please call 8-8888 and a technician will be dispatched immediately.
- Support is also available for campus events that utilize the classrooms. Please make arrangements ahead of time to ensure that coverage is available for your event. Contact the Help Desk (8-4357) to request assistance.
- For training or to report problems with the equipment, please submit a request via the Online Support Center.
- Available equipment and instructions are listed by room on the Classroom List page.
For the current list of classrooms with pending maintenance requests, click here
AV Event Support
The AV team also provides support for the various events across campus. Requests should be submitted using the online request form at least 5 days prior to the event. The form is located at www.smu.edu/oit/services/avservices.