Academic probation is a stern warning that satisfactory progress toward graduation is not being made. A student on probation is still considered in "good standing" for certification purposes and is eligible to enroll. Probationary warnings are not listed on a student's permanent academic record.

All undergraduate students are required to make regular and satisfactory progress toward their degrees. Graduation in four years, which is the University norm, depends upon the accrual of at least 30 academic term hours per year and the maintenance of a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. SMU's academic probation and suspension policies define the minimum standards by which a student's academic progress is measured. Failure to meet the University's minimum acceptable standards of academic or disciplinary performance may result in probation, suspension, or dismissal. For more information regarding disciplinary action, see the Undergraduate Catalog.

Academic suspension and dismissal are involuntary separations from your SMU school of record. A suspension is effective for a specified period of time; a dismissal is permanent. A suspended or dismissed student is not in good standing in his or her school of record and is not eligible to enroll as a student in that school during the suspension or dismissal period. Academic suspensions and dismissals are listed on the student's permanent academic record.


Students should verify, and update as appropriate using Access.SMU, their addresses and telephone information. University policy requires all students to provide both current home addresses and current mailing addresses. Your mailing address is your "local" mailing address -- your SMU PO box number or Dallas area address, unless you're a distance education student. It is possible for students to also provide billing addresses, if they differ from their home addresses. After you log-in to Access.SMU, click on "Personal Information" then "Addresses."

The University is committed to having cellular telephone numbers on file for all students, with the understanding that some students do not have cellular telephones and some students do not wish to provide their cellular telephone numbers. Cellular telephones are one way students might be contacted in the event of a campus emergency. Routine business might also be handled using the student’s cellular telephone number.

Undergraduate students whose parents' addresses and/or telephone information changes, should refer to the section below for PARENTS.

Students who have questions regarding their addresses and telephone information should contact Adrienne Montgomery at Be sure to include your full name and SMU ID number.


Alumni who have questions regarding their addresses and telephone information should log on to


Please send your updated information to Click here for information that needs to be included in your e-mail.

You may audit, or visit, a class without enrolling in it for a grade. There are certain restrictions on your participation. You must process an Audit Enrollment Request Form, whether or not you are concurrently enrolled for regular course work. Please complete the audit form and follow the instructions on the form. Also, space must be available in the class you wish to audit. The following restrictions apply:

  1. Your participation in the class is restricted, including classroom recitation. Course handouts, tests, and other materials may not be available to you. Laboratory privileges are not included.

  2. If you want credit for the course, you must enroll for and repeat it as a regular course and pay the regular tuition.

  3. Your name does not appear on class rosters or on grade sheets.

  4. As an auditor, you do not go through regular admission or enrollment procedures for that course.

  5. If you're an undergraduate student taking 12 or more hours per term, you may audit one three-hour course at no additional charge. Audit fees are nonrefundable.

Undergraduate students who want to change their academic program - that is, transfer from one school to another within the University, change their degree objective, or change their major or minor - first should apply to the dean of the school in which they are currently enrolled. Part-time students who want to transfer from the Division of Evening and Summer Studies to a degree-granting school must meet all standard University admission requirements. Students may change their academic program at any time during a term; the program change will be effective on the date it is received and processed. However, changes must be made at least three weeks before enrollment for the next term in order for the changes to be effective for that enrollment.

Grade changes for legitimate reasons, including change of the grade of I, are initiated by the course instructor and authorized by the chair and by the course dean of the department in which the course was offered. No grade will be changed after 12 months or after a student's graduation, with one exception: a grade successfully appealed will be changed, if written notice of the appeal is given within six months following graduation and, in extenuating circumstances, authorized by the academic dean and approved by the Registrar.

Regular class attendance is required. At the beginning of each course, the instructor announces policies regarding how class attendance affects a student's standing in the course. These policies may include dropping a student from the course for non-attendance after a certain number of absences (with a $25 administrative drop fee). Reasons for an absence should be submitted to the instructor immediately.

First Year 0-29 term hours earned
Sophomore 30-59 term hours earned
Junior 60-89 term hours earned
Senior 90 or more term hours earned
Non-Degree Not pursuing a degree
Graduate Enrolled in a graduate program

You may participate in May Commencement Convocation or the December Commencement Convocation if you have met the graduation requirements or the following criteria:

  • You are in good standing.

  • You do not have more than six hours remaining for graduation.

  • You have a clear plan for completing the six hours by the next official graduate date.

  • You plan to file an application for candidacy to graduate for the next official graduation date.

Students satisfying these requirements must file a petition with their academic dean to participate in Commencement. These students may participate in departmental or school ceremonies if the department or school permits such participation and if the department or school clearly indicates in the ceremonies that these students are candidates for the next graduation.

Students may earn two degrees simultaneously from two schools within the University with the approval of the academic dean of each school. Since the requirements of each degree must be fulfilled, students should meet early with advisers in both schools to prepare a proposed plan of study and complete all necessary forms.

Faculty are asked to report early intervention deficient grades for all enrolled undergraduate students who are in any of the following categories:

  • Fall and Spring new students from high school student groups for the current academic year

  • Fall and Spring new transfer student groups for the current academic year

  • Fall and Spring readmitted students for the current academic year

  • Undergraduates on academic probation, regardless of hours earned

  • Undergraduates who are receiving VA benefits, regardless of hours earned

  • Undergraduates with less than 30 hours earned at SMU (excludes advanced standing and transfer hours) who are not already included

Faculty are asked to report mid-term deficient grades for all enrolled undergraduate students who are in any of the following categories:

  • Fall and Spring new students from high school student groups for the current academic year

  • Fall and Spring new students from high school student groups for the previous academic year

  • Fall and Spring new transfer student groups for the current academic year

  • Fall and Spring new transfer student groups for the previous academic year

  • Fall and Spring readmitted students for the current academic year

  • Fall and Spring readmitted students for the previous academic year

  • Undergraduates on academic probation, regardless of hours earned

  • Undergraduates who are receiving VA benefits, regardless of hours earned.

  • Undergraduates with less than 60 hours earned at SMU (excludes advanced standing and transfer hours) who are not already included

Please note that:

  • Faculty are not required to submit early intervention or mid-term deficient grade information.

  • Only courses with reported grades of C-, D+, D, D-, F, FA (Failure due to attendance), or FT (Failure due to tests) are included on both the early intervention deficiency and mid-term deficiency reports.

  • Students are notified via email that hey have a Deficiency Report in Access.SMU. This information is shared with both their advisor and the LEC

You may enroll in a course for "no-credit" after following regular admission and enrollment procedures. You pay the regular tuition and fees, participate in class activities, are listed on class rolls, and receive a grade of NC after course work is completed. You must state in writing no later than the 12th day of classes (fourth day during summer term) that you want to take a course for no-credit. Permission of the instructor or department is required. This enrollment is different from audit enrollments, for which no enrollment or grade is recorded.

Effective Fall 2010, courses taken on SMU Abroad Fall and Spring Term programs may not be taken for “No Credit” or as “Pass/Fail.” The only exception to this policy is for courses designated by SMU’s academic departments with No Credit or Pass/Fail as their only grading basis option.

Students who enter the University directly from high school may repeat up to three courses for which grades of D+ or lower were received, provided these courses were completed before or during a student’s first two consecutive regular terms following matriculation (regardless of the student’s enrollment or withdrawal).

  • "College Prep" courses completed a summer prior to matriculation are NOT eligible to be repeated under this rule.

  • The grade from the repeated course, even if lower, will be the grade used to calculate the student’s grade point average.

  • Both the initial and the second grades are shown on the student’s permanent academic record.

  • A course may be repeated only once under this policy, and it must be repeated within the next two regular terms (regardless of the student’s terms of enrollment or withdrawal, but not counting a term of academic suspension) following the term in which the course was initially taken.

  • Students must declare which courses he or she will repeat under this policy with his or her academic dean by the 12th day of classes.

The average is computed by multiplying the term hours of each course attempted by the grade points earned in the particular course and then dividing total number of grade points by the total number of hours attempted, excluding those hours for which grades are shown with an asterisk. (See the "Grades" section.)

The grade is determined by the instructor of the course.

    Grade Points Per Hour Attempted
Grade Description Prior to Fall 1984 Fall 1984 & Later Credit Earned Included in GPA Included Attempted Term Total
A+ Excellent Scholarship 4.00 N/A Yes Yes Yes
A Excellent Scholarship 4.00 4.00 Yes Yes Yes
A- Excellent Scholarship 4.00 3.70 Yes Yes Yes
B+ Good Scholarship 3.00 3.30 Yes Yes Yes
B Good Scholarship 3.00 3.00 Yes Yes Yes
B- Good Scholarship 3.00 2.70 Yes Yes Yes
C+ Fair Scholarship 2.00 2.30 Yes Yes Yes
C Fair Scholarship 2.00 2.00 Yes Yes Yes
C- Fair Scholarship 2.00 1.70 Yes Yes Yes
D+ Poor Scholarship 1.00 1.30 Yes Yes Yes
D Poor Scholarship 1.00 1.00 Yes Yes Yes
D- Poor Scholarship 1.00 0.70 Yes Yes Yes
60-100 Passing 60-100 60-100 Yes Yes Yes
H,P,S,CR Honors, Pass, Satisfactory, Credit -- -- Yes No Yes
F Failure 0.00 0.00 No Yes Yes
1-60 Failure 1-59 1-59 No Yes Yes
WF Withdrawal Failing 0.00 or 40 0.00 or 40 No Yes Yes
HV Honor Code Violation 0.00 0.00 No Yes Yes
NC No Credit Received -- -- No No Yes
U Unsatisfactory -- -- No No Yes
I Incomplete -- -- No No No

Effective for Fall 1997, grades approved for Academic Forgiveness or First Year Repeat are annotated with an "E". *equals the original grade given

No No No

Withdrawal Passing (Prior to Fall 1992);
Withdrawal (a/o Fall 1992)

No No No
W Withdraw -- -- No No No
X No Grade Received -- -- No No No

You may receive a grade of incomplete (I) in a course if you have completed the majority of the course requirements with passing grades but for some justifiable reason, acceptable to the instructor, you have been unable to complete all of the course requirements. Before an I is given, the instructor should stipulate in writing to you and to the University Registrar the requirements and completion dates to be met and the grade that will be given if the requirements are not met by the completion date. The maximum period of time allowed to clear an incomplete grade for an undergraduate course is 12 months. If the Incomplete grade is not cleared by the date set by the instructor or by the end of the 12-month deadline, the I will be changed by the University Registrar to the grade specified by the instructor or to an F if no alternate grade is specified. The grade of I is not given in lieu of an F, W, or other grade, each of which is prescribed for other specific circumstances. If a student's work is incomplete and has not been of passing quality, an F will be given. The grade of I does not authorize a student to attend the course during a later term. Graduation candidates must clear all incompletes prior to the deadline listed in the Official University Calendar. Failure to do so can result in removal from the degree candidacy list and/or conversion of the I to the grade indicated by the instructor at the time the I was given. A failure is graded F. After such a grade, credit may be obtained only by repeating the course. The grade of D represents performance below average expectations. Students receiving a D in a course that is a prerequisite to another course should consult their adviser about repeating the course so they will be adequately prepared for work in the course that follows. The grade of W can be recorded only if an official drop or withdrawal process has been completed during the term of enrollment. (A W is the only grade that can be recorded if the student has officially dropped courses from the schedule or withdrawn from the University.) An official drop/withdrawal is final, and the grade of W may not be revoked or changed.

You are allowed to repeat courses according to the following rules:

  • Both the original grade and the repeated grade will be on your permanent academic record.
  • Both grades will be included in the calculation of your grade point average and in the determination of academic probation, suspension, honors, and graduation.

The course a student may repeat are determined by the school of record, as follows:

  • Dedman College, Evening School and Cox School of Business students may only repeat courses in which the original grade was a D+ or below.
  • Meadows School of the Arts, Lyle School of Engineering, and Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development students may repeat courses in which the original grade was a C- or below. Such a course may be repeated only once.

Students must file an Application for Candidacy to Graduate form with their academic dean during the term in which they are scheduled to complete all degree requirements. Applications should be filed by the deadline date in the University Calendar. Applications cannot be accepted after the graduation date.

Students officially declare their majors when they have made a firm choice and have met the specific program entrance requirements for their intended school and department. Most students declare majors during their sophomore year. To continue studies at SMU, students must qualify for and declare a major by the time they complete 75 term hours, including credits by examination and transfer credits.

Students who have a change in name after their last enrollment at SMU or a change from the name submitted on their application for admission must provide their original Social Security cards or forms issued by the Social Security Administration. No enrollment or records services can be accomplished for a student under a name different from his/her last enrollment without the above documentation. All grade reports, transcripts, and diplomas are issued only under the person's legal name as recorded by the University Registrar.

Students enrolling in special-topic courses such as Directed Research, Private Study, Directed Readings, etc., may request to have the subject of their course noted on their transcripts. You may make the request by filling out a "Notice of Special Topic" form, which may be obtained from the instructor and must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar before the last day of classes for the term.

Students may take one course per term on a Pass/Fail basis. The maximum total credits with a grade of Pass that will count toward a degree is 12 hours. You must indicate your intention to take a course Pass/Fail no later than the 12th day of classes (the fourth day of classes in summer sessions; the second day of classes in intersession terms) by filing a form available from your dean's office. If a course is graded Pass/Fail for all students by departmental policy, a declaration by the student is not required. A failed course cannot be repeated on a Pass/Fail basis, except for those courses designated as "Pass/Fail Only" courses. Students should consult their adviser before declaring the Pass/Fail option for any course. In general, elective courses can be taken on a Pass/Fail basis, but some courses, such as those required to fulfill the Common Educational Experience (CEE), cannot be taken Pass/Fail. Courses in the academic majors and minors also are excluded from the Pass/Fail option, but in some programs courses can be taken Pass/Fail after the minimum program requirements have been met. Other courses also may be excluded from the Pass/Fail option, including those that are necessary to meet professional accreditation standards or entrance requirements for programs such as teacher accreditation and preprofessional studies. Check with your department or adviser for more information. Business students can elect the Pass/Fail option in business elective courses only after the satisfactory completion of 48 hours of business courses on a regular letter-grade basis and of all requirements in their declared major. Under the Pass/Fail option, pass (P) grades are A, B, and C (including C-); failure (F) grades are D and F. A student who declares Pass/Fail is not entitled to know the regular letter grade earned, and a Pass/Fail grade cannot be changed to a regular letter grade or vice versa after the Pass/Fail grade has been assigned. The grade of P is not calculated in the grade point average, although the credit hours are included in the total number of hours earned. The grade F is calculated in the grade point average.

Courses taken on SMU Abroad Summer and J Term programs may not be petitioned for “No Credit,” but may be petitioned as “Pass/ Fail.” Students must petition approval for the “Pass/Fail” option from the Program Director and faculty member teaching the course. The deadline to complete the Undergraduate Pass/Fail Option Declaration Form to petition for a course taken on an SMU Abroad summer program is the fourth day of classes and no later than the second day of classes for J Term. Forms are available in the Office of the Academic Dean.

All students are to provide the University registrar a current home and mailing address, telephone number (cell number if available), and emergency contact. Under Personal Information on Access.SMU, all students must provide accurate information as requested.

After verifying this information in each of the requested areas, the student must check the appropriate box to indicate that the information has been updated and verified. At that time, a date will appear indicating that the information had been verified and/or updated.

It is very important that all students go into Access.SMU ( under Personal Information and check the accuracy of this information. If this information is not verified in a timely manner, a HOLD might be placed on student accounts for any future enrollment terms at SMU.

University policy requires that all students have current home address, mailing address (local), and telephone information on file as well as a cell number if available. Students may have other address types on file, including a Residence Address where you are currently living (street number, street name, city, state --- a P.O.Box is not valid for this address type).

The University Calendar lists the deadlines for adding courses, dropping courses without grade record, and changing sections for each term. You are encouraged to see your adviser when making changes to your schedule. It is the responsibility of the student to be sure that all deadlines are met. You may drop a course with a grade of W (withdrawal) through approximately mid-term. You may not drop a course after the deadline date listed in the University Calendar.

You may be deemed ineligible to enroll or be administratively withdrawn from the University if you give insufficient or improper information on any admission or enrollment form. In addition, action may be taken if a student has shown academic deficiencies, requires disciplinary action, and/or does not meet his or her financial obligations to the University.

A student's SMU identification number is an eight-digit number assigned by the University. The SMU ID number should be furnished on all forms when requested, as it is the primary means for identifying the student's academic records and any transactions related to the records.

1st digit Century Mark
2nd and 3rd digit Calendar Year
4th Digit Term Indicator
  1. January Term
  2. Spring Term
  3. May Term
  4. Summer Term
  5. August Term
  6. Fall Term

0994 = Summer term, 1999
1066 = August term, 2006
1107 = Fall term, 2010
1111 = January term, 2011
1142 = Spring term, 2014
1203 = May term, 2020

The value of courses is measured by the term hour (i.e., one lecture hour or three laboratory hours per week for a term of approximately 16 weeks, including final examinations). Usually, each lecture hour requires a minimum of two hours of preparation on the part of students. Undergraduates must get their dean's approval to enroll for fewer than 12 or more than 18 hours per term. Consult the "University Registration and Academic Records Standards" section of your Undergraduate Bulletin for information about the minimum and maximum loads for your school. For undergraduates, a full-time load in the fall or spring terms and in the Summer Session is 12 hours. Those enrolling for fewer than 12 hours are designated as part-time students. The normal undergraduate enrollment for each of the regular terms is 15 term hours. An undergraduate student enrolled in an engineering co-op course is considered full-time. For graduates, a full-time load in the fall or spring terms and in the Summer Session is 9 hours. Persons enrolling for fewer than 9 hours are designated as part-time students. A student enrolled in an engineering co-op course is considered full-time. A graduate student who is not enrolled for the required number of hours may still be certified as a full-time student if he or she is enrolled for 6049 or 8049 or in other special situations recognized by the Academic Dean and Provost. This may apply to you if you are working full-time on completion of a thesis, dissertation, or performance recital requirement; enrolled in an internship program; enrolled as a third-year theater major working on the completion of required production projects; or have an instructor appointment as part of a teaching fellowship.

Once students have matriculated at SMU, they may transfer no more than 30 hours to SMU (effective Fall 2009) from accredited colleges and universities. To ensure that a course taken at another college or university will transfer and that proper credit will be awarded, the student taking the course should obtain prior approval of the following people: the chair of the department and dean of the school at SMU that normally offers the course, the adviser, and the student's dean. Students who fail to get prior approval for transfer work may petition later for transfer credit, but they have no assurance that it will be awarded. In either case, permission may be denied for educational reasons.

Students are responsible for making sure a transcript of all transfer work attempted is sent to the University Registrar immediately following completion of the work. Forms for requesting transfer credit are available in the Undergraduate Offices.

Credit may be awarded for college courses a student takes prior to matriculation at SMU, including courses a student takes before graduating from high school, if they meet the criteria for transfer work outlined in the Transfer Admission Criteria section of the catalog. Credit may be denied for educational reasons.

Official college transcripts are required for all college-level work attempted, regardless of transferability.

If you decide to withdraw from the University before the end of the term or session, you first must notify your school's dean in writing. The dean will advise you on the withdrawal procedures that apply to your situation. In order to be withdrawn from the University, you must get clearance from the offices of your academic dean and the Registrar. A grade of W will be recorded in each course in which you were enrolled. You must follow the prescribed procedures to make your withdrawal official. No refunds can be made unless you do. Notifying your instructors does not make your withdrawal official, nor does non-attendance of classes. If you withdraw on or before the fifth day of regular classes, your enrollment will be canceled. Courses and grades are not recorded for canceled enrollments. You may receive a refund of tuition and fees according to the schedule listed in the Financial Information Bulletin. The amount of the refund is determined by the effective date of the withdrawal. In the case of a medical withdrawal, you will receive a daily pro rata refund of tuition and fees (check withdrawal procedures for dates).