SMU fraternity and sorority chapters must comply with all policies and expectations of the chapter’s Inter/National organization, their governing council, all SMU policies and guidelines, as well as all applicable local, state, and federal laws. The following are SMU specific polices that pertain specifically to Greek organizations.
SMU Fraternity & Sorority Life Policies
Interfraternity Council: Not currently open for expansion
Multicultural Greek Council: Not currently open for expansion
National Pan-Hellenic Council: Not currently open for expansion
Panhellenic Council: Not currently open for expansion
SMU is a deferred recruitment campus, meaning that councils do not offer formal recruitment/intake opportunities for first-year students until the Spring semester. Students interested in joining one of our fraternities or sororities must meet these eligibility requirements:
- First semester, first year students must complete and pass 12 college credit hours in the previous semester to joining (defined as fall or spring term); may be completed at a previous institution. Upper-class students must have a demonstrated ability to meet this requirement
- Achieve a 2.5 GPA, cumulatively and in the previous statement
- Not be placed on conduct probation or higher with the Office of Student Conduct & Community Standards at any point in the current or previous semester to joining or initiation
- Must be enrolled at SMU prior to the start of a recruitment of intake process
Individual organizations may have policies requiring a higher GPA or hour completion for membership
*Transfer students (first semester at SMU will be same as recruitment/intake process) will need to provide a transcript to show that the academic requirements above have been met at their previous institution. Transfer students should still plan to register by any deadlines set by the council they are interested in.
- Chapters will initiate (e.g., provide full membership status) all qualified new members within a maximum new member education period of six (6) consecutive weeks. The six-week period starts on the Monday following the day bids are extended (i.e., Bid Day).
- All new member presentation activities must be complete within five (5) days of initiation.