Residence Life & Student Housing
Policy number: 12.3
Policy section: Student Affairs
Revised Date: January 2, 2019
1. Policy Statement
Residence Life & Student Housing (“RLSH”) is an auxiliary enterprise of the University. This policy establishes the rules and regulations for students who reside in on-campus housing.
2. Housing Requirements
- First and second year students must reside on campus. First-year students must live in a Residential Commons.
- Second year students may fulfill their second year on-campus living requirement by choosing to live in a Residential Commons, upper-division housing, or fraternity/sorority house.
- Transfer students who are under 20 years of age are also required to live on campus for at least one year.
- Housing for juniors, seniors, and graduate students is available on a limited basis.
3. Exceptions and Special Needs
- All full-time, first-year and second-year students are required to live on campus and purchase a meal plan. Typically, this requires four semesters of residency, not including summer terms. The Assistant Vice President and Dean of Residence Life & Student Housing may allow exceptions for first-year students and exemptions for transfer students to live at home based on financial need, medical reasons, or personal hardship.
- Students with special housing needs, including a disability, should contact the SMU Disability Accommodations & Success Strategies Office (“DASS”) regarding their circumstances. DASS determines eligibility for accommodation and accordingly notifies Residence Life and Student Housing. The housing staff works with students in adapting the facility to meet special needs. Students who have questions regarding rooms modified for students with mobility, hearing and vision needs may contact RLSH for information.
Students with questions about this policy may contact RLSH at 214-768-2407.
Revised: January 2, 2019
Adopted: June 1, 1994