The requirements for the B.A. and B.S. degrees change from time to time, so for the exact degree requirements we encourage all students to read the relevant sections of the undergraduate catalog:
As of Fall 2018, the two degrees differ only the requirement of two science courses in the B.S., so most students pursue the B.S. Within the B.S., students must pick a specialization, and we recommend the following choices:
- Students with no double-majors choose either the Pure or Applied/Numerical Specialization.
- Students with a double major in engineering (ME, EE, CEE) choose the Engineering specialization.
- Students with a double major in Computer science choose the Computer Science specialization.
- Students with a double major in EMIS choose the Operations Research specialization.
Finally, to complete a major in any department within Dedman College, students must:
- attain a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.00 on all major coursework attempted at SMU.
- receive a grade of at least C- in all courses taken in fulfillment of the major requirements.
- complete a minumum of 18 hours of advanced major coursework (i.e. 3000+ courses) in residence.
To declare Mathematics as your first major, you must work with your pre-major advisor. To declare Mathematics as a second major, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies (currently firstname.lastname@example.org).