|Office:||317 Fondren Science|
Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993; B.S., Chemistry, Andrews University, 1989
- Full Professor, Southern Methodist University, 2013-present
- Associate Professor, Southern Methodist University, 2002-2013
- Assistant Professor, Southern Methodist University, 1996-2002
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, 1993-1995
- Click chemistry
The Son group focuses on polymer research. Polyarylenes are of interest due to their potential application in high temperature applications.We also synthesize degradable and non-degradable polymer networks for drug delivery applications.Much of our synthetic chemistry utilizes thiol-ene and related ‘click’ chemistry.
Bunton, C. M.; Bassampour, Z. M.; Boothby, J. M.; Smith, A. N.; Rose, J. V.; Nguyen, D. M.; Ware, T. H.; Csaky, K. G.; Lippert, A. R.; Tsarevsky, N. V.; Son, D. Y. "Degradable silyl-ether networks from tri-functional thiols and acrylates", Macromolecules, 2020, 53, 9890-9900.
Budy, S. M.; Hall, J. K.; Son, D. Y. "Polyarylene polyimides with hydrocarbon and semi‐fluorinated backbones: Synthesis, characterization, and properties", Polymer Chemistry, 2020, 11, 6273-6280.
Budy, S. M.; Khan, M.; Chang, X.; Iacono, S. T.; Son, D. Y. "Semi-fluorinated Polyarylenes: Microwave-assisted Synthesis and Structure-Property Relationships", Journal of Polymer Science, 2020, 58(19), 2774-2783.
Porter, D.; Davis, N.; Krueger, P.; Son, D. Y.; Cohen, A. "Additive Manufacturing by Material Extrusion with Medical Grade Silicone Elastomers and IR Laser Curing", Rapid Prototyping Journal, 2020, 26, 145-155.
Bassampour, Z.; Budy, S.; Son, D. Y. "Degradable epoxy resins based on bisphenol A diglycidyl ether and silyl ether amine curing agents", Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2017, 134(12), 44620.
- SMU "M" Award, 2017
- Pittsburg State University Distinguished Polymer Lectureship
- Thomas A. Tunks Distinguished University Citizenship Award, 2015
- HOPE (Honoring our Professor's Excellence) Honoree, 2003, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2019
- Ruth Altshuler Distinguished Teaching Professor Award, 2011
- General Chemistry (CHEM 1304)
- Organic Chemistry (CHEM 3371)
- Organic Chemistry (CHEM 3772)
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry (CHEM 5392)
- Practical Laboratory Methods (CHEM 6111)