Tax Compliance Office
Southern Methodist University is exempt from federal income tax as an educational institution under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Southern Methodist University is committed to ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local tax laws.
The Tax Compliance Office is responsible for directing and maintaining a comprehensive federal, state, and local tax compliance program at Southern Methodist University.Specifically, the Tax Compliance Office:
- advises and assists with implementation of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with tax laws;
- provides assistance in training and educating University departments to ensure compliance with tax laws;
- monitors judicial and legislative developments to tax law and advises University departments accordingly;
- conducts tax research and provides opinions on tax-related matters;
- advises University departments on the preparation of tax-related forms, applications, returns, and supporting documentation;
- provides tax planning advice related to contract terms and/or conditions to mitigate adverse tax consequences in connection with future activities; and
- serves as University liaison with tax authorities, external legal counsel, and consulting firms on tax-related matters.
SMU Compliance Policy and Standards
The University is committed to complying, in all respects, with the Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, Authoritative Pronouncements and Rulings by the Internal Revenue Service, and similar state and local laws and regulations.
Tax compliance is the responsibility of every University employee whose efforts may affect such compliance.
The University shall cooperate with agents of appropriate authorities in inquiries and audits. The University’s cooperation with and responses to such agencies shall be coordinated by the Tax Compliance Office or other assigned University units to facilitate timely, accurate and complete responses.
All employees are to be truthful in their dealings with taxing authorities. It is incumbent upon University managers to ensure that employees are properly trained and supervised in any activities that may impact University tax compliance.