All University purchases for desktop or laptop computers, displays or tablets must be placed through the centralized purchasing process. The following list identifies the various technology purchasing categories and the appropriate channels for ordering.
- Desktop and Laptop Computers, Displays and Tablets: Purchase via the online ordering site and SMU Purchasing
- Printers: Departmental purchases are not allowed. Contact email@example.com for assistance with printers.
- Cellular devices: Limited approvals for departmental purchase of cellular devices. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- AV components (Large Displays, TVs, projectors, Classroom AV equipment): Request via the AV Request form
- Software Licensing: Visit the software page to determine if a license purchase is required. Submit your request for licensing using the online order form.
Please note: You should receive a confirmation page and an email confirmation upon submitting your order. If you do not, please try again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Computer orders are placed through SMU Purchasing by clicking on the Order button on the page above. You will be able to select standard configuration computers, request a custom configuration computer or submit a request for a quote from this site. Computers will be delivered to the Office of Information Technology (OIT) for installation. OIT will contact you to schedule the installation/set-up of your new computer and take care of any data transfer needed.
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) maintains a limited supply of the standard and standard Plus Mac and Windows computers and monitors. If ordering one of these devices, the installation timeline is greatly reduced and will normally be within five business days from the date you place your order.
If ordering a custom configuration, the computer must ship from the manufacturer. Depending on the configuration ordered, this could take from 3-5 business days to several weeks for SMU to receive the computer and then 3-5 business days for the machine to be installed once it arrives on campus.
All computer purchases for desktops, laptops, workstations, displays and tablets should be ordered through SMU Purchasing and not with your SMU or Personal credit card.
Accessories can be purchased by sending a request to SMU Purchasing or you can purchase them yourself through Staples Advantage, Amazon Business or other store with your SMU Credit card or Personal Credit Card and submit the expense for reimbursement on an expense report in Concur. The purchase should be tax-free and be the lowest pricing available.
In order to comply with sponsored project guidelines, technology purchases for G projects are processed initially through a departmental org and then moved to the G project after all required documentation is provided. As an alternative, any computer purchase, regardless of dollar value, can be processed through the ePro requisition process and use a grant org and flowing through Grant and Contract Accounting (GCA) for advance approval.