Deadline: January 15 (Fall admittance only)
Please submit all supporting documents to the
Office of Research and Graduate Studies.
Applications should include:
- an application form and fee (via the Office of Research and Graduate Studies);
- statement of interest;
- official transcripts for all post-high school academic work;
- three letters of recommendation;
- official GRE scores (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing); and
- one 15-20 page writing sample. Please DO NOT send in samples in excess of 30 pages.
Prospective students wishing to apply can access this application by visiting https://gradadmission.smu.edu/apply/.
All documents, including the writing sample, should be submitted directly to the Office of Research and Graduate Studies, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX 75275-0240. To check the status of your application, please call (214) 768-4345 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
International students interested in applying to our graduate programs are required to have their foreign transcripts evaluated into comparable United States standards. World Education Services is a service program accepted by SMU, which will evaluate foreign transcripts at a nominal fee payable by the applicant. International students holding a degree from a U.S. degree-granting institution may be able to waive this requirement. Please contact the Director of English Graduate Studies to discuss this matter further.