The SMU Police Department is seeking highly qualified men and women to join our department. SMU offers an attractive benefits package including tuition benefits for employee and dependents.
Beginning Salary: 42,000 annual
- Police Officer I: Requires a Basic Peace Officer Certification, completion of the Field Training Officer (FTO) program, complete one (1) year of probation, recommendation by supervisor and approval by the Chief of Police. Salary: $45,000.000 per year or $21.64 an hour
- Police Officer II: In addition to requirements for Police Officer I also requires an Intermediate Peace Officer Certification, have worked as a peace officer for a minimum of three years. Must be a certified Field Training Officer or hold a Training Certification. Training requirements (FTO and Training Certification) may be waived if the officer has a Bachelor’s degree or higher, the Chief of Police will make a determination in these cases. Must serve a minimum of one year as a PO-I unless waived by the Chief of Police. Salary: $48,000.00 per year or $23.08 an hour
- Police Officer III: In addition to requirements for Police Officer I and II also requires an Advance or Master Peace Officer Certification and have worked as a peace officer for a minimum of five years. Must also serve as a PO-II for a minimum of one year. Salary: $51,000.00 per year or $24.52 an hour
*Experienced officers are eligible for a lateral transfer up to Police Officer II based on years and experience.
The Police Officer will work under the direct supervision of the patrol sergeant and the senior officer in charge, responding to calls for police service within SMU’s jurisdiction and is responsible for protecting life and property, as well as enforcing all City, State and Federal laws and University policies.
Candidate must be able to work any one of three shifts assigned. The ability to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays is required.
- Patrol campus and surrounding properties by vehicle, foot, segways or bicycle; prevent or deter criminal activity;
- Making arrest, issuing citations (parking, moving, UP citations or justice of the peace citations);
- Investigating crimes, vehicle accidents and complaints;
- Directing traffic and crowd control during special events including collegiate sporting events;
- Assist the community as needed (directions, escorts, lock or unlock campus facilities) settling disputes.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED, sixty (60) semester college hours from an accredited college or university, or any special training and experience in civilian or military police is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of 21 years of age
- U.S. Citizenship
- TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Certification or have taken and passed the TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Exam.
- A current Texas Vehicle Operator's License
- No convictions of an offense above a Class B Misdemeanor or a conviction of a Class B Misdemeanor within the last 10 years
- No convictions of any family violence offense
- If applicable must have a "Honorable Discharge" from military service
The selection process consists of nine (9) separate phases. Each phase is administered in order and must be successfully completed before advancing to the next phase. The final decision as to whether an applicant will be employed will be made by the Chief of Police and will be based on the information obtained in the application process.
- Phase 1: Application for Employment
- Phase 2: Physical Fitness Test* (One Minute Sit-Ups - Minimum Required Score: 27, One Minute Push-ups – Minimum Required Score: 18 and 1.5 Mile Run- Minimum Required Score 15:20)
- Phase 3: Personal History Statement & Pre-Employment Questionnaire
- Phase 4: Background Investigation
- Phase 5: Oral Interview Board
- Phase 6: Skills Assessments (Reading, Writing and Basic Math)
- Phase 7: Physical
- Phase 8: Psychological Examination
- Phase 9: Drug Screen
Apply at the SMU HR Employment Page.