SMU provides competitive paid time off programs, which include official holidays and Vacation and Sick Leave.
SMU generally observes the following holidays each year:
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday After Thanksgiving
- Christmas/Winter Break (actual number of days varies each year)
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King's Birthday
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
Note: If a holiday falls on a day when a part-time employee is regularly scheduled to work, they will be paid for the holiday.
As a regular employee, you accrue vacation time according to your scheduled hours and job classification, beginning on your first day of employment. After six months of continuous service, you can begin using your accrued vacation time with the approval of your supervisor.
See Policy 9.20 Staff Vacation Leave for plan details and the number of vacation days you will accrue.
SMU provides paid Sick Leave to staff employees in the case of:
- medical, dental and other health care appointments
- illness or injury to the employee
- illness of a member of the employee's immediate family
- death of a member of the employee's immediate family
Full-time benefits-eligible employees will accrue one day of Sick Leave for each month of service completed. Benefits-eligible employees in the categories of partial year full-time, partial year part-time, and part-time employees will receive Sick Leave with pay prorated to scheduled work time.
See Policy 9.21 Paid Medical Absence for Staff for further details.
Leaves of Absence and FMLA