(Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.)
Standard Rate: $3,995.
Who Should Attend?
- Aspiring graphic design professionals seeking a strong foundation in the latest Adobe software
- Seasoned graphic design professionals looking to transition from traditional hand-rendering to digital design on the latest Adobe software
- Graphic design or administrative professionals seeking to enhance their design skills and training
Why Choose SMU?
- Convenient evening classes for working professionals
- Up-to-date instruction on the latest tools and techniques
- Instructors who are proven professionals
- Learn new skills utilizing the latest industry techniques and Adobe software.
- Hone your new skill set as you work on assigned design projects between class sessions.
- Create a robust final project to serve as the foundation for your professional graphic design portfolio.
- Build relationships as you learn alongside your peers.
Online Learning Requirements
This course will be offered virtually for Fall 2020. The well-being of our students and community is our top priority, and we are excited to deliver dynamic and engaging courses in a fully online format.
Students will interact with instructors and other students through Zoom and SMU GO's Learning Management System (Canvas). To maximize classroom instruction and your learning experience, we require the use of video & audio devices during the Zoom meeting. It will be necessary to have reliable internet with sufficient bandwidth to support the use of video during class.
Registered students will receive individualized communication with further instructions to help you prepare for class.
Complete and pass each class below with a score of 70% or better:
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Illustrator
- Print Graphics with Photoshop
- Adobe InDesign
- Graphic Design Certificate Capstone (pass with a score of 70% or better).
Introduction to Graphic Design
Print Graphics with Photoshop
Graphic Design Certificate Capstone
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition for the SMU PRO Certificate in Graphic Design is $3,995.
- There is a $50 non-refundable application fee before you submit your completed registration form.
- Textbooks and Adobe Creative Cloud subscription are not included in the cost of the course and can be purchased online or at a bookstore of your choice. You will receive the book list by email before the first class begins.
- SMU faculty, staff, students and alumni save 10%!
- Some students may qualify for veterans’ benefits. For more information, please contact Robert Hurst, SMU Veterans Assistance and Outreach Coordinator, at 214-768-1104.
- Corporate billing is available.
Students may qualify for a Smart Options Continuing Education Student Loan, offered by Sallie Mae. Your Sallie Mae Loan application must be completed and approved 14 days before the first day of the program. Loan cannot exceed the cost of tuition. Contact our admissions team for details.
- Complete the online application and attach a photocopy of your undergraduate transcript or diploma when prompted.
- SMU PRO will confirm your acceptance and facilitate your payment for the program of your choice.
Registration / Enrollment
- Register for the program online, and pay the non-refundable $50 fee. Payment of the application fee does not guarantee a seat in the class/program.
- Upon registering, you will receive, via email, a confirmation receipt* and the program application. Return the completed application and requested documents to email@example.com or fax them to 214.768.1071.
- Your student advisor will confirm your acceptance and send accepted students a welcome email with the next steps toward enrollment.
Karen has spent time working in Michigan, California, and Dallas a multimedia designer, graphic designer, instructional designer, and a creative manager for ad agencies and directly in large corporations; including Yamaha Motorsports and Johnny Rockets Restaurant. She brings her industry experience and creative knowledge to help engage students in the classroom, and has taught with the program since Spring 2016. Karen previously taught at Monroe County Community College in Michigan, and at summer camps on the University of Michigan campus.
Karen Gogerty has more than 15 years of graphic design experience with a strong background in creative design, branding, typography and photography. She specializes in creating, promoting and managing strong brands through a consistent design perspective. She works primarily in print mediums, but also has experience in web and online applications. She is a creative and conceptual planner who uses her business insight to drive simultaneous projects, identify new opportunities, and use resources efficiently all while meeting the strategic goals of the corporation. She has managed the brand of an established, billion-dollar company, and as a professor has introduced the love of graphic design to the next generation of artists. In addition to her design background, she has professional experience in managing people and has empowered a large team to execute daily promotional events. She has a BA and MA in advertising and integrated communications, respectfully.
With an MFA in visual communications, Toni M. Schuster, brings 25 years professional experience as a graphic designer, art director, visual design manager and educator.
Her portfolio includes work for private individuals as well corporations. Her papers and projects have been published in Logo Lounge, The Humanities Journal, and other industry related resources.
Through each course she instructs, Toni attempts to create an exciting and concrete learning experience — empowering students to do their possible best.
Did you know?
Average annual salary for visual designers in Texas.
Ad and marketing executives who express need for highly skilled creative professionals.
Top job titles include visual designer, user experience (UX) designer, art director and interaction designer