Student Health History Form
ALL students must complete both pages of the Health History Form—be sure to include your name, date of birth and SMU ID# on each page.
Students must submit verification of the following vaccinations (doctor's signature and office stamp or attach official immunization record) or submit an Exemption form:
Meningitis vaccination (Under 22). YOU MUST SUBMIT PROOF OF VACCINATION (OR BOOSTER SHOT WITHIN THE LAST 5 YEARS) TO THE SMU STUDENT HEALTH CENTER PRIOR TO REGISTERING FOR CLASSES.
MMR #1 & MMR #2
Sign and Date page 1 under Consent for Medical Treatment. If you are under the age of 18, a parent's signature is required.
If you answer YES to any of the TB questions, results of a TB skin test within the past 6 months is required.
Submit ONLY ONE COPY of the 2 page Health Form; keep a copy for your records.
Please submit your 2-page Health Form and immunization record directly to the Health Center. You can use email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (214-768-2151) or postal mail (SMU Student Health Center, P.O. Box 750195, Dallas TX 75275-0195)
Allow a minimum of seven (7) business days for delivery if mailed from a location within the United States and two (2) business days if faxed or emailed. If possible please submit at least two (2) weeks prior to your orientation/registration. SMU is not responsible for forms not received due to mail misdirected or lost in transit. Incomplete or illegible submissions will not be processed.
Please do not call the Health Center for verification. You may check your My.SMU account after submitting your Health Form to verify receipt and completeness by going to: My.SMU Student Self-Services > Student Center > Medical Health History.
If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com. Please include your name, date of birth, and SMU ID number.
Prior to registration at SMU, students must provide documentation that they have received the following vaccinations. The documentation may be from a Public Health Clinic, a Physician or a Transcript from a School Record. Immunization records must be complete BEFORE students will be allowed to register for classes. A HOLD will be placed on a student's access account for non-compliance. Students who are lacking any of the required immunizations may come to the Health Center upon arrival at SMU to receive necessary immunizations for a fee. Click here for immunization clinic times and fees.
- MEASLES, MUMPS & RUBELLA: All students born after 1957 must provide proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps & Rubella. A physical exam is not required. Acceptable proof is considered to be the following:
- Record of two immunizations since age 1.
- Documentation of Measles & Mumps disease
- Protective titer of Rubella.
- MENINGITIS: Required for all new students who are under the age of 22. This is an update to State of Texas SB 62, which contains an update on the meningitis law, effective October 1, 2013. The meningitis immunization must have been received within the preceding 5 years, or a booster shot is required. A "new student" is defined as any student who was not enrolled in SMU classes the previous semester. View more information about the Meningitis vaccine requirement.
- TETANUS: All students should have had a Tetanus booster within the last 10 years—TDap is preferred.
- TB (TUBERCULOSIS): All students need to complete the questions on the Health Form to see if a TB test (within the last 6 months) is required.
Mandatory Health Insurance
SMU has a Mandatory Health Insurance Policy which requires students to maintain and document proof of current health insurance in My.SMU every semester. Students must either enroll or waive the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) in the "Student Center" component of Access.SMU AFTER they enroll for classes each term. For more detailed information, including a FAQ page, please visit the Health Insurance page. Students are advised to know about their health insurance and to carry a copy of their insurance/pharmacy cards with them.