MASTER OF SCIENCE IN APPLIED STATISTICS AND DATA ANALYTICS (MASDA)
The explosion of data from sensors, the internet, business processes, surveys, medical instruments, social media, and other data collection devices, has created an ever increasing demand for specialists in applied statistics and data analytics. In the next few years of this new “big data” era, there is anticipated need for an additional 200,000 professional statisticians (a 50% increase).
Now, Southern Methodist University offers a graduate degree that will give your career an edge in this exciting and highly competitive field of applied statistics and data analytics.
A Master of Science in Applied Statistics and Data Analytics (MASDA) degree from the Department of Statistical Science at SMU prepares you with the statistical foundation and critical thinking skills to tackle today’s problems and those that don’t even exist today. If you have a background that is strong in mathematics, this degree program can help you take the next step to advance into this new and highly sought-after field.
A recent New York Times article has the headline “For Today’s Graduate, Just One Word: Statistics.” The article provides information about the demand for Internet-age statisticians. In it, Hal Varian, chief economist at Google is quoted as saying, “I keep saying that the sexy job in the next 10 years will be statisticians. And I’m not kidding.”
Time magazine lists statistician as one of the nine “Jobs of the (near) future.” Information Week declares that there is a big demand for “Big Data” professionals who can extract information from data.
The SMU MASDA Degree Program
- A curriculum designed to allow you to graduate in 18-24 months.
- Courses concentrate on practical applications of statistical data analytics including statistical data analysis, big data analytics, data base management, statistical computing, and data mining.
- Learn from instructors in a world-class Statistical Science Department who have extensive application experience in data analytics.
- Develop in-depth statistical computing competence using SAS and R. Many students are able to pass SAS Certification exams.
- Experience a consulting practicum through the Center for Statistical Consulting Services. You will have a chance to work with clients on real-world problems.
- Learn teamwork and presentation skills that are immediately transferable to the workplace and are highly valued by potential employers.
- Support is available for job placement (the MASDA program has an outstanding track record), to attend data analytic conferences, to gain professional certifications, and for other outside-the-classroom experiences.
An Exciting Job Market for Graduates
- A recent salary survey found that the middle fifty percent of master's statisticians have annualized salaries between $95,000 and $155,000.
- Because of the high reputation of the SMU Statistical Science department and the quality of the on-site training received, graduates command a competitive starting salary.
- Jobs range from research consultants to corporate analysts and these include potential managerial and executive positions.
- Employers for graduates with analytics degrees include universities, governmental agencies, corporations, small businesses, and multinational organizations.
The SMU/Dallas Experience
- On-campus, face-to-face instruction by faculty members from the SMU Department of Statistical Science, a nationally recognized department with a history of producing outstanding, highly marketable graduates.
- SMU is located on a beautiful campus in Dallas, Texas and is in the heart of a large metropolitan area that has numerous cultural, sporting and leisure opportunities.
- The job market in Dallas (and Texas) is one of the best in the United States.