Modern Middle East
Dallas Hall Room 65
Ph.D. New York University
BA Middle East Technical University
“Empires at the Margins: Towards a History of the Ottoman-Iranian Borderland and the Borderland Peoples,” New York University, MEIS-History, 2006.
Awards and Services
- 2012 Fellow for the Texas Project for Human Rights Education
- Koc University, RCAC Senior Residential Fellowship, 2009-2010
- ARIT, Juokowsky Family Foundation John Freely Fellowship, 2009-10
- University Research Council Grant, 2009-2010
- Middle East Studies Association, Malcolm H. Keer Dissertation Award, 2006
- HOPE Teaching Award, SMU, 2006
- SCOS Fellowship, Cambridge University, England, 2000
- Dean's Pre-Dissertation Fellowship, New York University
- Dissertation Fellowship, ARIT (American Research Institute in Turkey)
Books and Essays
- The Sheikh Ubeidullah Rebellion. Book manuscript in preparation.
- Ottoman-Iranian Borderlands: Making a Boundary, 1843-1914. Forthcoming, Cambridge University Press.
- Tunalı Hilmi Bey: Osmanlıdan Cumhuriyete Bir Aydın (Tunalı Hilmi Bey: An Intellectual Journey From the Empire to the Republic), Istanbul: Tarih Vakfı Yurt Yayınları, 2009.
- "Bones of Contention: Corpse Traffic and Iranian-Ottoman Rivalry in Iraq," Comparative Studies of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East 30, 3 (2010): 512-532 (Persian translation by Nazli Kamvari, in Irannameh 26, no. 1-2, pp. 1-30).
- "Oryantalizm ve Bizim Doğu" (Orientalism and Our East), Doğudan, Vol. 1, Issue 1, September 2007.
- "The Ottoman Archives as a source for the Study of Qajar Iran," Iranian Studies, Volume 37, number 3, September 2004, pp. 499-509. (Persian translation by Nasrollah Salehi in Iranian Contemporary Historical Studies (Fasinameh-e Tarikh-e Moaser-e Iran), No. 35/pp.79-96.
Last updated 01/14