Concentration in Cultural or Medical Anthropology
- Globalization, Migration, and International Development
- Focus on understanding the impacts of a rapidly globalizing world on local communities and culture and their responses.
- Global Health
- Theoretical focus in critical medical anthropology and political economy, as well as Psychological Anthropology.
Concentration in Archaeology
- Human-environment interactions; political economy; social inequality; and colonial encounters. North America, Mesoamerica, Oceania, and Africa.
- Expertise in lithic and ceramic analysis; geo-spatial technologies; zooarchaeology; geoarchaeology.
M.A. in Applied Medical Anthropology
- Two-year (unfunded, terminal masters degree) applied program that trains students to work in any health setting, ranging from hospitals and agencies to NGO's, locally and internationally.
Recent Graduate Student Research
- The relationship between legal status and civic engagement among Congolese refugees in Ireland (National Science Foundation).
- Prehistoric socio-economic activities/organization as reflected in Late Pleistocene residential structures/US Rocky Mountains (National Science Foundation).
- How gender is reflected in the lived experiences of person with HIV/AIDS in Bolivia (Wenner-Gren Foundation).
- Impact of micro-finance on women's/children's health in Ecuador (Fulbright IIE).
- Liberal Muslim religious transnational movements in the US and South Africa (NSF Graduate Fellowship; Lemelson Pre-Dissertation Fellowship).
- Nationally-known faculty, among whom have been three National Academy of Science members.
- Close faculty/student research collaborations.
- Fully financially-funded doctoral students (tuition, fees, and stipend).
- Funding available for student travel to conferences and for preliminary dissertation research.
- Graduate programs have strong interdisciplinary focus.
- Focus on theory and method - practical experience in field and laboratory.
- SMU-in-Taos Archaeology Field School. (New Mexico)
- An award-winning, beautiful campus in the vibrant and international urban center of Dallas.
Applications due January 15.
Please note the University offers supplementary grants for outstanding graduate applicants—in addition to other opportunities. For more information on these opportunities, please visit http://www.smu.edu/graduate/Funding.