Options for reporting sexual misconduct

Students can choose to report sexual misconduct to police and to SMU. Students also can choose to report either to police or to SMU, or can choose not to report. The SMU process and the criminal process are independent of each other and can be pursued at the same time.

To report to police and pursue criminal charges

Students can report sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking to the police and pursue a criminal process. To reach SMU Police, call 214-768-3333 or pick up a blue-light phone on campus at any time of day or night.

Those who wish to anonymously provide information regarding suspicious or criminal activity to SMU Police may call 214-768-2TIP (2847) or submit information online at smu.edu/2TIP. The form may be submitted anonymously or with a name and contact information.

To report to SMU and pursue an internal grievance process

Students can report all forms of sexual misconduct, including sexual assault, to SMU’s Title IX Coordinator and can pursue an SMU internal grievance process. To reach the SMU Title IX Coordinator, call 214-768-3601 or email accessequity@smu.edu.

To file a complaint or provide information regarding Title IX harassment, please complete the Title IX Harassment Complaint Form. The form may be submitted anonymously, or with a name and contact information, or by a third party.

The form can be emailed to accessequity@smu.edu; submitted in Perkins Administration Building, Room 204; or mailed to the SMU Title IX Coordinator, P.O. Box 750200, Dallas, TX 75275-0200.