Sexual Misconduct Policies, Prevention and Resources
How faculty and staff can help students in cases of sexual misconduct
It is important that all faculty and staff members are informed about SMU procedures regarding sexual misconduct, as well as resources that support students.
Please remember that all faculty and staff are considered responsible employees, except for staff in the Counseling Services and the Chaplain’s Office, and must notify the Title IX Coordinator of all sexual misconduct reports; 214-768-3601.
Faculty and staff members should follow these steps if a student comes to them to report sexual misconduct:
1. Urge the student to seek medical attention.
In cases of sexual assault, dating violence and domestic violence, a certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas can provide care and an exam that preserves evidence; 214-345-6203. SMU Police and Counseling Services can accompany students to the hospital. Learn more in "Getting Help."
2. Encourage the student to alert police.
SMU Police can be reached 24/7 at 214-768-3333, or the student can call 911 in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred to connect with police there.
3. Inform the student about campus and community resources.
Inform the student about the campus and community resources listed below, including contacting SMU’s Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Institutional Access and Equity to learn about reporting options and to file an internal grievance.
4. Notify the SMU Title IX Coordinator.
Inform the student that you are required to report the sexual assault to SMU’s Title IX Coordinator for follow-up; 214-768-3601. The student may request that his or her name be withheld; however, this request for anonymity may impede an investigation.
- SMU Police (for emergency help or criminal reporting), 214-768-3333 (available 24/7)
- The Office of Violence Prevention & Support Services (for support and information about options), 214-768-4512
- SMU Counseling Services (for confidential counseling), 214-768-2277 (an emergency contact is provided at all hours)
- SMU Title IX Coordinator (for internal grievance information and reporting), 214-768-3601
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program (for medical care and a forensic exam that preserves evidence), 214-345-6203
- The Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center (DARCC) (for confidential counseling and assistance), 972-641-7273 (24-hour hotline)
Learn more about campus and community resources.