In order to provide a quiet space on campus for students to participate in an online class, a number of rooms have been designated as "Zoom Spaces" for the Fall semester. Reservations are required to use these spaces
Booking a Zoom Space
Beginning on August 21, students can reserve zoom spaces up to one week in advance.
- Click on the Reserve button above.
- From the landing page, locate the desired locations. Be mindful of spaces designated for particular student groups.
- Select the date and time you wish to reserve a room. A list of available locations will be displayed.
- Click on the available time slot.
- Adjust the duration of your appointment time using the drop down menu below the schedule.
- Click Submit Times
- Login with your SMU ID and password and confirm with Duo
- Click Submit My Booking
Cancelling a Reservation
- You will receive a confirmation email sent to your SMU email address. Click on the cancellation link at the bottom of that email.
- Be respectful of the spaces ensuring they are clean. Reset the furniture before you leave.
- Adhere to all appointment start and end times.
- You must provide your own technology including laptop and headphones.
- Social distance capacity numbers are published on each room and must be followed.
- A room may accommodate more than one student. Therefore, you may have other students in the same room attending a different class. Be respectful of their need to participate in class as well.
- Masks should be worn in the rooms unless you are the only occupant of the space.
- Violations to these rules will be reported to Student Affairs. Please be respectful of the space and your fellow Mustangs.
In order to accommodate the need for zoom spaces across campus, the following rules will be in place for all reservations.
- Reservations are made in one hour blocks. Up to three contiguous reservations may be made in a single room. No more than 6 hours per day may be reserved.
- Reservations may be made up to two weeks in advance.
- Students are encouraged to cancel reservations if they are no longer needed to allow other students to use the space. Please do not overbook the space! There will be a high demand for these areas.
- Several spaces are designated for specific student groups. Many of these spaces will require special card reader access that will granted only to members of those groups. Please follow the room designations.
- If you are the only person in a zoomspace, you may remove your mask. If others enter the room, please mask up!
- Please adhere to the guidelines of the space in terms of food/drink requirements. If food is permitted, please ensure you have cleaned up all trash and wiped down the desk/table before leaving.
Having trouble finding an open room?
There are a number of alternate locations across campus that might be suitable for attending your class. These are not included for reservations but here are a few ideas:
- Hillcrest parking garage has full Wifi coverage
- Outdoor areas by the Residential Commons
- Outdoor areas by Fondren Library
- Caruth Amphitheater (outdoor space)
- Indoor spaces within the various libraries on campus