Staff Resources

Travel & Registration Procedures - Fondren, Hamon & DeGolyer


Travel Procedures

Travel procedures for Fondren, Hamon, and DeGolyer staff will defer to the SMU Travel Policy and all related procedures that are required for University business travel. You can find all travel-related information at SMU Travel.

The initial Request for Professional Leave is still required. Staff requesting travel (paid or unpaid) should submit this form to their supervisor in advance. When travel funding is requested, the form should be scanned and uploaded into Concur, the University’s online travel and expense system, when requesting approval. Concur is accessed from SMU Travel (see link above).

Any staff member may apply for professional travel. Librarians generally have one conference funded per fiscal year. For non-librarians, travel should be job-related, approved by their manager, and include a written justification sent to the Dean and Management Team to show the need. We reserve the right to pay for only partial travel or registration only or deny the request. The decision whether or not to approve the travel lies with Management Team and the Dean.

Here are a few reminders as well as some changes to University travel procedures:

  • All University-funded travel requires pre-approval through Concur.
  • Fondren and Hamon staff record travel charges under 10 (fund) 203000 (org) Provost (division).
  • DeGolyer staff record travel charges under 10 (fund) 203610 (org) Provost (division).
  • Reservations for business travel must be made using Concur, with the exception of conference hotels.
  • Conference registration must be completed and paid by Meg Ruckman (see below).
  • Detailed receipts or other supporting documentation as required by the University for travel expenses of $25 or more must be attached to the reimbursement request.
  • Per diem is allowed per GSA rates. Please note, however, that an itemized receipt for lodging is required, and travelers who use University-issued credit cards to pay for meals are not eligible to receive a per diem allowance.
  • Airfare reservations should be made early, since the lowest fares are usually available with 21- and 14-day advance purchases.
  • Alcohol purchases are not eligible for reimbursement unless there is a documented SMU business or entertainment purpose.
  • Local travel is considered to be any destination less than 50 miles from campus, and overnight stay may not be allowed.
  • State Tax Exemption Form for Hotel Stays in Texas: Use this form for an exemption to the state portion of the hotel taxes when staying at a hotel in Texas. Travelers must still pay for the city, county and any other portion of the hotel occupancy tax.
  • After completion of travel, remember to complete the Professional Conference/Workshop Report Form and upload it to the CUL Travel Conference/Workshop Reports library in SharePoint within 2 weeks of return.

Employees traveling on official University business are responsible for complying with travel and entertainment procedures and are expected to be prudent and reasonable in their expenditures. Please review the SMU Travel Policy and Travel Procedures documents as well as all supporting documentation provided by the Office of Budget and Finance at SMU Travel (see link above).

Registration Procedure

Conference/Workshop/Training registration will be done with the following procedure for the employee’s benefit. Employees will not have to pay with their own funds and then wait for reimbursement. The event may be online or may require travel.

  • Employee will email a request to the Management Team member. The request will include a link to the event. If the event is ALA/ACRL related, employee will include the ALA membership number in the email for ease of registration.
  • Management Team member will forward the email to Meg Ruckman, noting approval.
  • Meg will register the employee and request a confirmation email from the event.
  • Employee will receive the confirmation/receipt and forward to Meg.


July 17, 2019