As the primary information resource for the SMU community, and commonly
referred to as ‘the heart of the University,’ the Central University
Libraries plays a central role in supporting the University's aspiration
to be a leading research institution and a dynamic, engaged, learning
environment. CUL will be committed to the use of transformative
processes and tools in support of this vision, and will be an active
participant in the digital revolution. As information needs change and
grow, CUL will seek to play a leadership role in the intellectual life
of the SMU community.
The Central University Libraries supports and enriches SMU’s academic
mission and heritage. CUL serves students, faculty, staff and the
general public by building collections, organizing information,
providing high quality research assistance, and preserving, digitizing
and showcasing library materials. CUL staff will provide outstanding
professional assistance in the access of diverse resources, and create
an environment that respects academic freedom, encourages open enquiry
and excites the mind.
- We value all members of the SMU community and the contributions
they make to the teaching, research and learning environment.
- We value an environment of integrity, trust, diversity, open
communication, and respect that fosters collaboration, creativity
- We value intellectual freedom and support its role in academic
research and education.
- We value the unique quality of our collections and our ability
to provide access to the world’s information resources.
- We value our role in preserving and maintaining the SMU
collections for future use.
- We value our collective knowledge, experience and skills to
provide quality services in a professional manner.
- We value the Central University Libraries as a place that
provides a cultural and intellectual center for study, research,
work, and life-long learning.
- We value the joy and excitement of learning, both for ourselves
and those we serve.
- We value an environment that encourages innovation and new