- We treat all people with courtesy and respect.
- We take personal responsibility for providing the best possible service at all times.
- We identify and address needs proactively and positively.
- We listen to our users and respond to suggestions and concerns with fairness and flexibility.
- We maintain the privacy of our library users without judgment or bias.
Public Service Policies
Fondren Library is committed to providing resources for students with disabilities and creating open dialogue in order to better serve all users. If you have questions, concerns, or suggestions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animals in the Library
Service animals are welcome in the library.
Cell Phone and Video Chat Calls
Please be considerate of others. Library staff may ask callers to move to a less disruptive area.
Fondren Library expects all visitors, both SMU affiliates and guests, to act responsibly and respectfully and follow Patron Expectations When Using the Libraries. This includes:
- adhering to University Policy 13.10 which prohibits “unauthorized canvassing, peddling, and/or solicitation.”
- avoiding interfering with, threatening or harassing library staff or other library users, including engaging patrons in unwelcome conversations about religion, politics, or other issues.
We regret that Fondren Library is unable to accept gifts of library materials at this time.
Events at Fondren Library
Collaborative Commons (Starbucks) Tabling
- All events must be library-sponsored or library-approved. For approval, please submit a Tabling/Events Request.
- Events must be small and occur during a time of the year that minimizes disruption to students.
- Those sponsoring the event are responsible for set-up, take-down and all post-event clean-up.
- For inquiries about booking this space, contact Elizabeth Killingsworth, Associate Dean of SMU Libraries and Director of Fondren Library.
Filming and Photography in Fondren Library
Filming and photography in Fondren Library must be approved by the Director of Fondren Library. Submit a Film Request Form to the Fondren Library Main Desk for approval at least 5 business days prior to the filming date.
Filming and Photography:
- may be performed only in approved areas.
- must not disturb library users or staff members, or interfere with normal library operations.
Food and Drink
Food and drink are allowed. Please dispose of your trash and report large spills to library staff. You are responsible for any damage to library equipment.
Student fund raising activities are not allowed in the library. For Southern Methodist University fund raising policies and procedures, please visit the University Policies Manual Section 6.4.
Lost & Found
Lost & Found is located at the Main Desk in the lobby of Fondren Library. Valuables are held for 7 days and then taken to the SMU Police Department campus lost and found. SMU ID Cards are taken to Parking and ID Card Services in Hughes-Trigg Student Center. All other items are held for 30 days and then donated or discarded.
Posting on Bulletin Boards
Fondren Library staff reserve the right to remove postings at their discretion. Items posted anywhere other than designated bulletin boards (e.g. walls or doors) will be removed.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Fondren Library actively protects the privacy and confidentiality of library patrons and their use of resources and services. Library patrons are entitled to view and update their information. Some information is provided by other campus offices (e.g. Registrar's Office or Human Resources), so may need to be updated elsewhere if it is not correct.
Quiet Study Areas in Fondren Library
The Library has designated Quiet Study and Group Study areas. Signage indicating the designation is posted on each floor. Please notify a library staff member if someone is being disruptive.
- Speak quietly and only when necessary. Keep conversations brief.
- No cell phone use.
- Quiet discussion encouraged.
- Cell phone use OK in study rooms, lobby, and stairwells.
All tobacco products and e-cigarettes are prohibited.
Study Room Policies
- Group study rooms are available for use by SMU students, staff, and faculty.
- The maximum reservation length is 3 hours and 6 hours total per day.
- Study room windows cannot be blocked or covered at any time.
Fondren Library Graduate Study Room Policies
- Individual long-term study rooms are assigned to SMU graduate and doctoral students on a first come-first served basis.
- Rooms are assigned for one academic year. Renewals are granted on a case-by-case basis.
- Please check out items before leaving them in your study room.
- The library assumes no responsibility for personal items left in the rooms.
Please do not leave personal belongings unattended. The library is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of personal property. Personal belongings may not be used to hold a study, carrel, or computer. The library reserves the right to remove unattended belongings to lost and found, located at the Main Desk.
back to top