The Business Library is a restricted access facility.
- Access and services are provided to the SMU community: faculty, staff, students and alumni.
- The library makes available book collections, study seating, and access to computers on a generous schedule to accommodate student needs.
- Each student must present a valid SMU ID to the front desk attendant in order to use a computer station, to check out items or to use reserve materials.
- Study rooms are reserved online.
- Please direct requests and questions to a Business Library staff member for speedy service.
Services and resources available
- Ask a Business Librarian service for requesting information or assistance via email or phone.
- Detailed training sessions that provide the tools to conduct successful research on companies, industries, markets, financial information, international business, job searching, and on the use of specific resources including Bloomberg. Follow the Workshops link to read descriptions and sign up for sessions.
- Email alerts with tips on using the databases effectively to perform research and reminders of training opportunities.
- Individual reference appointments with a librarian for assisting students with information / research needs.
- Course Reserve materials including books, reports and other physical items are processed for faculty and kept at the service desk for student access.
- Classroom instruction and topical guides, constructed in cooperation with faculty, are provided to orient students to course-related databases and to guide successful research for specific assignments.
- Tours of the Business Library for groups and individuals.
Tobacco and e-cigarettes/personal vaporizers are prohibited in the Business Library. Drinks in containers with lids securely fastened are permitted in The Kitt Investing and Trading Center but no food is allowed in The Kitt Investing and Trading Center. We appreciate continued cooperation in keeping the Business Library clean by disposing of trash properly and reporting any spills immediately.
Business faculty may place supplementary books, reports, and other printed materials on reserve in the Business Library. Please view the Course Reserves tab of the Faculty Research Guide for more information.
- Course reserves must comply with copyright. See copyright statement below.
- Reserve materials may be located by using the Course Reserves Library Search.
- Neither e-books nor online articles may be placed on course reserve. Instead, please use permalinks in Canvas or contact your librarian for assistance.
Fair Use Compliance: Conditions of Acceptance
Copyright Compliance is enforced. By placing items on reserve, you agree to the following:
Fair Use provision of the Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S. Code) allows for photocopies to be placed on reserve for 1-semester without requiring permission from the copyright owner. The course reserve use of photocopied materials in multiple courses or successive years will require advanced permission from the owner of the copyright.
Photocopies and electronic reserves will be removed from reserve at the end of the semester unless proof of permission from copyright owner is presented to the Business Library. This will require written permission from the copyright owner or payment of fees to a copyright clearance service such as the Copyright Clearance Center.
Ask a Business Librarian for more information.
Patrons must comply with copyright, patent, and licensing limitations.
- Software installed in lab computers may not be copied.
- Materials from the web may not be copied beyond the limits of fair use.
- Materials in Business Library print collections may not be copied beyond the limits of fair use. Fair use applies in an educational setting. Students and faculty may use copyrighted materials under stringent limitations, primarily for classroom and class-related purposes. Please use the links listed below or ask a Business Librarian for more detailed information.
Students, please consult with a staff member or your instructor before undertaking extensive photocopying.