SMU offers a full range of programs: study abroad, international internships and service, research, and culturally-enriched class trips abroad. The SMU Abroad Office manages study abroad and internship programs. You can spend an academic year, semester, or summer on about 150 approved programs in about 50 countries as an integral part of your SMU undergraduate degree.
SMU Abroad programs provide academic opportunities that complement offerings at SMU and allow a high degree of integration into local culture and student life.
The programs are categorized as "SMU-in" programs and SMU-approved provider programs.
"SMU-in" semester programs include SMU-in-Australia, SMU-in-Copenhagen, SMU-in-Spain, and SMU-in-Switzerland. Courses have been approved for SMU credit. Most financial aid packages are applicable.
"SMU-in" summer programs are developed by academic departments and led by SMU faculty. Courses are SMU courses that have been designed to complement the program location. Approximately 20 programs of different disciplines are offered annually. Several of these programs include internship opportunities.
SMU-Approved Provider Programs
Over 100 approved programs are offered during the semester through the following study abroad providers:
- BCA Abroad
- CET Academic Programs
- Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- IES Abroad
- Internships in Francophone Europe (IFE)
- Institute for Study Abroad with Butler University (IFSA-Butler)
- School for International Training (SIT)
- School for Field Studies (SFS).
We also offer the following approved independent programs:
- Bologna Consortial Studies Program, University of Bologna
- British American Drama Academy (BADA), London Theatre Program
- National Theater Institute (NTI), Moscow Art Theater School (MATS)
Courses are approved for credit through SMU departments. Most financial aid packages are applicable. Many of these programs may include internships, research, and service abroad. For more information, visit the programs' webpages.